Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
May R&R

Hi All,
Ann and I leave Australia 26 April for Rochester, NY. We pick up the truck and trailer from storage and hit the road 30 April, 1 May to Baltimore, 8 May to J'ville, NC, 11 May to Fla around Orlando, and 18 May back to Rochester to store the trailer and return 25 May to Australia.
My sister has retrieved the truck from 4 months storage and had to show me how happy Big Red was! She also ensured he was serviced and the trailer will be serviced on the 23rd. Brakes and grease the axles.
What a gal.
If you see us on the road flash twice. The head lights of course. lol. I will turn on the GPS so you can track us if you care. Same concept as HAMRAD. The Where is John link will be active 27 April to 23 May.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:25 AM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Have a safe & enyoyable trip.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Have fun, John and Ann! Sounds like we'll be in the same half of the US but not close enough to run into each other. Hope your trip is all you are hoping for.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
John, Have a great trip. If you make it into western Kentucky, let us know.
Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We will be on similar route to you John. Leave Toronto area about May 6 and arrive Orlando a few days later - allowing 3 nights en route. Proably use Belden Manor at Binghampton, Fredericksburg VA KOA and Points SOuth KOA SC as stop offs. Reservations at Ft Wilderness but a couple of days shopping first (with the 4 year old Granddaughter on board - what else would Diana be doing?) - probably use the KOA on 7 dwarfs lane as the base.

WOuld be interesting if we were at the same place ever - both of us worked at Australian Banks in England (a long time ago!).

Have a great trip!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
If you would like a great campground in the area around Asheville, you need to try Mama Gerties just outside of Asheville on I-40 in Swannanoa. Phone # is 1-828-686-4258. We have been there a number of times and it is so nice. Safe travels
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:22 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Hello Stateside,
Ann and I made it to Churchville, NY, near Rochester, after spending Thuesday night in the Dullas Airport. Our plane scheduled to depart at 11:00 PM was cancelled for mechanical problems at 12:30 AM Wed. With only a few hour six befor the next flight and hotel at $285 a room. That was too steep a price for three hours sleep. Another traveler comfirmed that, for he paid it.
We check the trailer out Wednesday afternoon with everything work so continue the preparation today and tomorrow. We leave for Maryland 30 April with an over night at Drummerboy camp grounds, Gettysburg, PA. Highly recomend this camp grounds.
Where is John is active. Hope to see some of you on the road. Two flash of the head lights.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello John,
Sorry you had the airport delay. A mere $285.00! What a great deal! You'd think the airline would foot the bill since it was there fault. But guess that isn't gonna happen in today's economic climate.

"Saw" you on the road. I'll be following you on your trip. Have fun and welcome home.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Hello All,
We made it to Eustis, Fla 8pm tonight. No problems. Did see a couple Montanas on the road. No double winks. Big Red did a great job pulling and the brakes worked great once I fixed them. Had to use them real hard twice.
We will be heading for Alabama on the 16th.
All drive safe.
HamRad, No hotel but we did get upgrade from LAX to Sydney. That was better. Three hours sleep was not worth it even if they paid for it. We was still on Aussie time and wide awake. lol.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Well this vaction is over. I put BigSky and Red in storage today. This month went too fast need eleven more. lol. The rest of you enjoy this year for us also.
Back to Australia on the 25th.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glad to hear you had a good trip, John and Ann. The time sure does fly when you're having fun, huh? Safe trip back down under!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:10 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Well we had one OOPS

Lesson when you drop on front wheel a foot or so check the rear bed rail and the trailer.
One flat cause by a bad valve stem and one blow out cause (tread separation I guess - I heard it pop)

Lesson - Check your tires anytime you stop. Do a walk-around.
Good luck and tow safe
Old 05-26-2006, 03:19 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
John, that is one big OOPS! Hope it won't cut into your R & R plans for very long. Makes my heart hurt to see that damage to your truck and rig, but I'm glad you're safe!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Lucky for me the truck damage was mostly superficial. The replacement rail cost $75.00, the big hit was to my pride. Silicone seal went into the hole which was to only damage to the trailer underskirt. It could have been a lot worse in a different location.

Hopefully others will learn from my error. I do not have a replacement cost for the skirt damaged by the flat tire. Going to try and work that from here in Australia over the INTERNET.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sounds like you've arrived home safely and that is good news.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote