Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2005, 12:47 AM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Backup Lights

I have a question regarding the backup lights. Most 7 pin wiring harnesses include a pin for backup lights. Does any one know where the wiring harness terminates to splice in my own backup lights.

When Backing up at night I get a serious glare from the truck to the trailer because of the built-in backup lights. I can put electrical tape over the trucks backup lights and still see my spotter (Donna) most of the time. However, backup lights on the back of the rig would be a great plus. Besides, if I have to back up on the street it would be nice to let people behind me know my intentions before I actually try to backup.

A backup beeper works too but is anoying to other campers. The lights may be also, but is less so than a beeper. I agree that setup should be done in daylight and I dislike backing up at night. Sometimes after leaving the CG backing up at home the lights would be most helpful though.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
It probably terminates at the electrical box under the hitch pin. The wire with the plug molded onto it is about 7' long, it then goes into an electrical box hung inside the pinbox. The wire for b/u lights probably ends there.

That's where I would start looking.

Others have added fog lights or another auxiliary light to the rear of the trailer and powered it from the coach battery. Yhis gives the option of turning them on while setting up if need be. You can mount a switch in the propane compartment on the driver's side for easy access.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
nutts
Established Member

M.O.C. #2189
everyone wanting to install backup lights can thank the montana people for the bonehead, idiotic, moronic (using no four letter words) way they wire the trailers. if you look under the neck of your fifth wheel close to the pin, you will see a little junction box where the pig tail runs into. (your cord that plugs into the truck) take the cover off and you will find the the YELLOW wire, the one is used for such things as a backup light is cut off and the wire stops right there. they left no open or other unused wires in the wiring harness for such things as that.
heck if you really want to look at somthing. pull the belly pans loose and you will see that every place that the wiring and the plumbing runs over the frame (a sharp metal edge) there is no protection for these vital pieces of our trailers.

I just spent the last week of evenings protecting and anchoring wire and plumbing down in our trailer. As for backup lights, i installed them and run them off a separate switch i installed next to the jack leg switch. (it's kind of pain to use but for late night setups they work.
thanks , jim

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by uhftx

I have a question regarding the backup lights. Most 7 pin wiring harnesses include a pin for backup lights. Does any one know where the wiring harness terminates to splice in my own backup lights.

When Backing up at night I get a serious glare from the truck to the trailer because of the built-in backup lights. I can put electrical tape over the trucks backup lights and still see my spotter (Donna) most of the time. However, backup lights on the back of the rig would be a great plus. Besides, if I have to back up on the street it would be nice to let people behind me know my intentions before I actually try to backup.

A backup beeper works too but is anoying to other campers. The lights may be also, but is less so than a beeper. I agree that setup should be done in daylight and I dislike backing up at night. Sometimes after leaving the CG backing up at home the lights would be most helpful though.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
nutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I called Keystone when I got my Montana the rep said they do not put a back-up light or even run a wire for it, you will have to run one the length of your trailer up to the pin box conector box and hook up the back-up wire to the plug cord. have fun running the wire under the under belly. I was but got depressed looking at all the work unscrewing all the screws.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Jim (nutts),
Where did you mount your back up lights. Can you post a picture?

Thanks, Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
PackerFan that is a good question regarding the where on location of backup lights. I still want to know the why? Just how effective would they be Vs my spouse out there talking to me with a hand held two-way or just plain old hand signals.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
nutts
Established Member

M.O.C. #2189
i pulled the last belly pan loose and drilled the frame rail and the lights hang down. the lights i used are a rubber body so they will take the abuse and give more life to the bulbs.

jim

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

Jim (nutts),
Where did you mount your back up lights. Can you post a picture?

Thanks, Scott
nutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
I bought a halogen back up light from J C Whitney. mounted to rear bumper with square u bolts and ran the wire to the coach battery. The unit comes with a switch built in, I just flip the switch when I want to back up. It provides plenty of light when I want it and the truck does not have to be in reverse.

There are plenty of places to tie the wire to the trailer w/o removing the underbelly.

Good Luck
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
nutts, did you run the wires inside the frame in the under belly or the easy way on the outside part of the frame?

TT2