Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #21
tundra rose
Established Member

M.O.C. #1359
I purchased mine from MasterTechs.
- They were very knowledgeable and provided prompt service.
- They can also provide additional connectors for the IOTA IDP-12 fuse panel, in case you want to add additional fuses. My panel had only one spare operable fuse slot.

http://mastertech-inc.com/

tundra rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:49 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Coro from Maryland

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

... Wondering if there is anything short of complete replacement for those of us with the Parallax???
At www.parallaxpower.com Parallax lists an option for "two-step" charging that prevents overcharging during long term storage. Don't know if it is available as an add-on, though.
I haven't checked that site but wonder if the converters in our Montanas need this option? When we used to store ours for the winter we left it hooked up to shore power and never had an overcharged battery. It didn't boil away the water, just kept the battery charged nicely. So I wonder if ours already has this option?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 08:56 AM   #23
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
We also have an '05 2955RL and was wondering the same thing (after reading the included DLS-55 owner's manual - if ya didn't get one with your rig, you should have). So I emailed IOTA concerning the IQ-4, and got the following reply from a tech (which is followed by my questions):

"The way you have your setup sounds fine. The charger maintains a
constant voltage during the float stage, which is the normal charging
stage, but outputs current as needed by the battery up to the max
rating of the DLS. The IQ 4 will set the DLS to it's max voltage &
current output when the bulk charge is needed. Basically, when the
battery is really low & needs a lot of power to charge up the IQ 4 sets the DLS to it's max output so the battery charges faster. It will lower the DLS back to float charge when the battery is close to full so that way the battery doesn't overcharge. The IQ 4 also constantly monitors the battery so that it's always full. We do make a DLS 55 with an internal IQ4 but it's not commonly bought by the
manufacturers. The way to tell if yours has an internal IQ4 is that it will be labeled as a DLS55 w/ IQ Int. The IQ4 is not essential, but it does provide faster charging of your battery and helps ensure the battery is always charged. I hope this answers all your questions and feel free to email me if there is anything else you need."

> Sirs,
>
> Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a DLS 55 installed in my >2005 Montana 5th wheel that we just purchased. We are in Michigan, >and I would just like to know one thing: is there any chance of >overcharging my 12v battery during the winter if I leave the coach >plugged into my house 110v current, AND the battery disconnect >switch left in the 'on' position? The converter would obviously be >powered all the time. If this is not what I should be doing, then
> please advise as to how I should store the unit.
>
> I am not at all familiar with converters, nor with the >terms 'float-charge', etc. The manual does state that the DLS 55 >will eventually 'float-charge' the battery. But on the 2nd page of >the manual, it talks about an 'IQ Smart Charger' that, among other >things, 'insures proper and safe battery charging without >overcharging'.
>
> Totally confusing! Does the DLS 55 have the IQ Smart Charger built
>in, or should I buy it as an add-on option? Your help would sure be
>appreciated to clear up the confusion, AND to save a battery...
>

Hope this answers all questions about the IQ-4, which I still plan on buying. Cheap insurance for an expensive battery...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:46 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Jim & Bev. Nothing beats hearing it directly from the horse.

I think yours is a different unit than our parallax model but I think ours works pretty much the same way.

Thanks again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote