Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2015, 01:00 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Almogordo to Las Cruces option?

I found this:
Would you suggest this instead?
I am only concerned about a storm popping up at higher elevations.

**1. Re: Driving from Clovis to Las Cruces

Nov 19, 2015, 5:24 PM
This is just a suggestion. To avoid driving through the Sacramento mountains, and the higher elevations. take US 60 west to Vaughn, then US 54 south to Alamogordo, and then 70 in to Las Cruces. No mountain passes, mostly flat country except between Corona and Carrizozo. Might take a bit longer, but maybe a safer way to go. Check the weather before you leave Clovis. Call statewide to 511 for up-to-date road conditions. Tank up in Clovis, some stations in Vaughn, Carrizozo and Alamogordo.**

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The San Andres pass between Las Cruses and Alamogordo can have some pretty extreme winter weather. Back in the early 70's I was stationed at White Sands Missile Range and there were times it got so bad up there between December and February that the state called upon us to take our military tactical 10-ton wrecker's up there to assist civilian semi's. More recently (past several years) I have been through there in the car, on the Harley, and pulling the Montana. Never any issues and it isn't that hard of a pull.

If you are coming all the way from Clovis on Rt. 70, then some of your steeper grades will be before the stretch between Las Cruses and Alamogordo. If I recall correctly we were on some down grades with speed limits of 30mph around Ruidoso.

I would certainly check weather conditions up there before doing it. If going from Las Cruses to Alamogordo you will be on a good side to pull over just past the crest at a extra parking area for taking photos. If it is sunny watch where you step because you may hear a "rattle".

I love that part of New Mexico!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I found this:
Would you suggest this instead?
I am only concerned about a storm popping up at higher elevations.

**1. Re: Driving from Clovis to Las Cruces

Nov 19, 2015, 5:24 PM
This is just a suggestion. To avoid driving through the Sacramento mountains, and the higher elevations. take US 60 west to Vaughn, then US 54 south to Alamogordo, and then 70 in to Las Cruces. No mountain passes, mostly flat country except between Corona and Carrizozo. Might take a bit longer, but maybe a safer way to go. Check the weather before you leave Clovis. Call statewide to 511 for up-to-date road conditions. Tank up in Clovis, some stations in Vaughn, Carrizozo and Alamogordo.**
Old 11-24-2015, 02:38 AM   #3
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
We live in Casa Grande AZ and we take that route all the time. Some people take I40 to Flagstaff and then head south on I 17 to Phoenix. Route 70 is shorter and just as fast if you run about 60-65 mph. Traffic is very light, road conditions are good and there are many RV parks if you need one. There are many places to pull of the road and have lunch. Make sure you visit White Sands National Park.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:27 AM   #4
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
The Valley of Fires near Vaughn is worth a stop, as is the Three Rivers Petroglyphs. Both have camping sites. A little out of the way is Lincoln of the Lincoln county cattle wars fame and Ft. Stanton with an unusual history starting before the Civil War. Check to see if the TB replica tent is still there. I helped build it 4 years ago.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the information folks. May all your Turkeys have an extra leg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:29 AM   #6
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
I lied. The Valley of Fires is near Carrizozo.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote