Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Traveling thru the South this spring?

We plan on taking a trip thru the south, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama,Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee and back to Oregon around April thru mid June. With all the flooding this past fall I'm wondering if all the dams, bridges and highways will be repaired by spring. Had to cancel a trip into Alberta Canada this past July because of forest fires. Mother nature is not cooperating with my plans. Are there any websites to contact to find out about these things. It looked this past fall a lot of damage thru the south and we still have the winter to deal with.

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
When we travel and we believe there are weather related issues, we use the DOT web sites for the individual states. I have found them to be pretty good. Some are a little easier to find what you need than others, but, large road constructions, and such, will be noted.

Some states have wonderful video and/or cameras you can access for real time road conditions. Very helpful when one gets caught in Glennwood Springs and needs to go east over the hill of 11,100 feet. :-)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Great Site
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don't know of any main highways that have been damaged to any significant extent. As far as lakes we had record rains thru the spring. Most lakes in the area were going over their spillways. But there was no damage to the dams. They were all within their design limits. And all the excess water was released over the summer so that the lakes could absorb the new rains. By spring they will all likely be at or below normal level.

Most of the damage has been to secondary roads and highways. The link above or the Texas DOT web site should provide the highway info you need.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I usually check the State DOT sites for info. As well as keep up on local weather on where we are staying or will be driving. I use Intellicast on the road via my cell phone to check weather radar on storm locations, etc. This summer we drove across Wyoming in late September and waited in a road side park for storms to move north of I-80 before we got to Rock Springs. Basically keep up with current info is necessary to avoid unwelcome conditions.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:52 AM   #6
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Thank you for your suggestions and this will be a help with the crazy weather we have been experiencing.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As mentioned, most roads are open now...we just made a swing through that part of the country, no problems at all. However, if you are from Oregon...some of those states might want to see a passport.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote