Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
CALIF TO IDAHO

Hello All,

We've spent the winter in Mesa AZ & are on our way to San Dima's CA. No problem with that part of our trip. It's the next 3 legs of our travel that I'm concerned about.

This is our first western trip pulling our 5th wheel, Monty 3455SA pulling with a 2008 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel w/exhaust brake.

1) SAN DIMAS TO STOKTON CA
We will basicly be taking I-5 all the way.

2) STOCKTON CA TO FERNLEY NV
We will take I-5 to I-80 to Fernley.
Concern about Donners pass.

3) FERNLEY NV TO ELKO NV
I-80 to Elko

Any information/hints of California driving, winds, mountain passes etc, etc.

We've driven from Illinois thru OK to AZ and the truck/Monty was no problem in the mountains. I felt the same way then as I do now about the mountains & I'm just trying to get some re-assuarence that things will be okay.

Thanks for any & all help.

Larry

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There is nothing to be concerned about with that route.

1) San Dimas to Stockton - I-5 has been pretty much recently re-paved except for a section in Stockton where it is rougher than a cob. There isn't much you can do other than slow down and endure it. Hopefully they will finish that section before next winter when we go south again.

2. Stockton to Fernley - Try not to drive through Sacramento during rush hours, it can be congested. I-80 east of the I-5 interchange for about 4 miles is being widened and is another rough section of road. The other challenge is the up/down hills in the Sierra's. Both Blue Canyon and Donner Summit are semi-steep but you will have no problem. There are truck lanes you can use but watch for the really slow semi's (the ones with the blinking hazard lights). If you get caught behind them it can be a bitch to get back up to speed. The two lane section from Colfax to Gold Run is where you really want to move left before catching a slow moving semi. The down grade from Donner Summit to Truckee is long and steep. Use the Tow/Haul feature of the Allison transmission to keep your speed under control and you will be fine.

3. Fernley to Elko - Nothing along here is scary or exciting. Just boring high desert to look at.

Remember CA's speed limit is 55 MPH when towing (which means you can go 61-62 and not attract attention) and you will be fine.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Carl needs no back up, but we still totally agree with his assessment of your trip plans!

In any of the large towns, cities in our country we have found that traveling through them is best done between 10 & 2 during the week.. Less stress, less traffic!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Carl, thank you for the information. It helps to know what lies ahead.

Again, thank you.

Larry
Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote