Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
snowbiz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12991
Traveling from Grand Junction CO to Jackson CA

We are traveling to the Western Rally in Jackson CA in April. Traveling from Grand Junction Colorado and thinking about taking I70 into Utah and then taking Hwy 50 through Nevada as it seems the shortest, most direct route. Is this a reasonable way to travel? Any height restrictions? Anyone with experience on these routes? I will appreciate any comments or suggestions.

snowbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Snowbiz,
The 70 is a good route and does not normally have a lot of traffic. Highway 50 is known as the loneliest road in America. It is a good two lane road. You would have no trouble with it. I would take the 70 to the 15 and then 15 to the 50. Then just stay on the 50 till you get to the west side of NV. Take the 395 south to Minden until you hit the 88. Then take the 88 across the Sierras to Jackson. 88 is a two lane road but good enough for trailer traffic. I've not pulled it but have some friends who have. Jackson is on hwy 88.

If you would prefer to skip mountain roads then when you hit the 15 just take it all the way south to the 58. Take the 58 to hwy 99 which you will hit in Bakersfield. Then just take 99 north to the Stockton area. Then just take the road back east to Jackson. By this time you are only about 40 miles or so from Jackson. The difference in miles is only about 100 miles. The difference is mountain driving vs more freeway type driving. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I highly recommend HamRad's route to use 395 to go south to Hwy 88. If you stay on Hwy 50 into California the mountain driving is very slow because many parts of Hwy 50 are going through construction and the highway is a mess in both directions. I just did this last September and was lucky enough NOT to tow through there. I had dropped a trailer off right before getting on 50 at Sacramento and then heading east through there without a tow. It was slow and with heavy traffic being behind semis and other towables who didn't know about the construction. It will be another year before I try that route to check on their progress.

I have not been on Hwy 88, but it's gotta be better than Hwy 50 through eastern California right now. I think this route would do fine even though HamRad recommends an alternate southern (flatter) route. Sure there's some mountains but it shouldn't be too bad in the long run.

And don't forget to top off the tanks in Nevada before entering California. The price difference will scare you (as a resident I am at the point of anger). You also might get some fruit taken away at the border crossing. California tries to protect their produce and may confiscate some things.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have towed the Montana along all of Hwy-50 where you will be. There are no height problems along that route. It is mostly two lane road but as you get closer to civilization (Reno, Carson City, Tahoe, Sacramento) it will have four lane (even freeway) sections. Traffic through South Lake Tahoe can be a pain in the summer. I assume you will take Hwy-49 out of Placerville to get to Jackson. The route is a little hard to find so watch for the signs.

As Dennis suggested, Hwy-88 from Minden/Gardnerville to Jackson is two lane pretty much all the way. IMHO it is a much more scenic route. Since the speed limit is 55 MPH while towing in CA the difference in speed limits between the two routes shouldn't be significant.

Both routes involve mountainous terrain. You will be crossing the Sierra's on the way to Jackson. This means 7,000' passes and roads which are not perfectly straight. There are a couple of 6% grades but there are truck lanes and you won't have problems climbing - just take your time.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I have been on all of those roads and if it was me I would take 70/50 west then 6/191 north up through Price (we have friends in Price and its a beautiful drive north from there) to 15 north to 80 and head west to Reno. Take 395 south to 88 at Minden NV and then west over the mountains to these coordinates, N38 21.741 W120 44.035 (this is the intersection of Dalton Rd and hwy 88) and then turn right up the hill past the gas station 1 mile and the campground is on the left. JMHO and travel safe. Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
snowbiz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12991
Thank you all for your advice. We are new Montana owners and really looking forward to our first rally!
snowbiz is offline   Reply With Quote