Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Flat tire and what to do.

I've had the 5er for 1.5 years and finally had the first blowout. Called the road service and after 30 minutes they still couldn't find someone to come fix the flat. It's not like I was in the Az. desert. I was just across the river from Baton Rouge, LA.

I quess I was fortunate because the Sheriff's office came to my aid and literally changed the flat themselves. Here's my question. These two deputies had me run my good tire right next to the blow out up on the tinker toy stablizer blocks I use. This almost got the trailer up high enough to change the tire. I still had to raise one of the front stabilizer jacks to get the trailer up another 1/2 inch. Is there any potential damage to a Mor Ryde suspension jacking up a 5er this way? Second, if this is a safe method, does anyone know of something I can purchase that is designed to get your 5er high enough off the ground to change a tire? I am trying to avoid using a traditional jack and I don't want to be stuck again with a roundside service that is not finding anybody.

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
They make a tire wedge to raise the wheel.
Here are some. http://accessories.etrailer.com/trailer/Tire%20Wedge
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Bob, from Lippert was at the Fall Rally. He was adamant that the only way to raise the trailer is to jack on the frame. He specifically said NOT to use the wedge or blocks. If you use a bottle jack get a metal plate to put on top of it to "spread the load". YMMD
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
I wasn't aware the wedge jack could cause a problem. I always have the service people use it when I buy a new set of tires. I'm not aware of any problems it has caused.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Edmojenks,
You may want to share which "road service" could not find anyone to help you. This might help your fellow RVers. Thank you. RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
The road service I used (but not anymore) is my insurance company - Geico. I'll be joining Sam's or AAA this week.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
My experience with insurance road service is equally poor--if anything happens--a wrecker with no jack is sent out--equals NO HELP. Last time in Nashville, I had to loan my jack to the guy. Since then I have changed several tires myself on the road--I get the job done correctly with a 12 ton bottle jack and get on down the road. Also I torque the lug nuts correctly and check them as needed as I get moving.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Eddie, before you purchase a plan for road service I would suggest you look into Coach Net Roadside Service. I just recently went with them due to the fact I have seen nothing but positive reports on the forums towards them. And they are everywhere, and it seems prompt. Just a thought............

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I just went with Coach Net also. But have not had to use them yet.
I did a lot of reading on this forum and on the open roads forum. Good Sam's and AAA both had a lot of positive comments, but also seemed to be too many comments about some less than satisfactory service experiences. It was very rare to read a bad comment about Coach Net.
Had ERS thru extended warranty plan, but that was no better than no plan at all.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There have been many previous postings regarding the proper way to change a tire on a rig. Due to the weight of the rig and the possibility of overloading an axle or tire, I have deliberately avoided the lifting of the rig by driving up on a block or similar device. I have always jacked the frame (using a combination of blocks and bottle jack), then blocked the frame fore and aft of the axles, then used the jack beneath the axle u-bolts to lift the tire enough to remove it. I also always chock the off-side tires to prevent any movement. I have used this method both when hooked up and when not hooked up. I feel this keeps the weight evenly distributed on both axles and does not overload any tire as well. Many others have professed their use of driving up on a block, but to me the risk is not worth the benefit. As always, this is presented as my opinion and is only intended to relate my experience and preferences of the way that I change tires.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #11
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Good news, bad news:

Good news - When I had the blow the trailer didn't swing back and forth and nearly make me lose control of the whole rig.

Bad news - I had no clue I had a blowout. I was in a suburban area and a motorist pulled up beside me and flagged me down.

So, I guess if you are on a long stretch of isolated highway you could have a blowout, not know it and drive forever. The problem I had was that not only did I have a blowout, but I will have to replace the tire skirting and who knows what else that the tire damaged. The price of the tire will be less than the damage it did to my rig.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
When possible I jack on the frame. but in an emergency what about jacking under the u-bolt were it attaches to the axle? Wouldn't it be like driving over some of the large speed bumps in CG's, one tire gets lifted at a time. Just a thought.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yep, the collateral damage is often expensive, but your insurance should cover that minus your deductible. On my former Big Sky, I had tread failure blowouts on both sides causing an accumulated loss of around $5,000. Typically, it is the tread that continues to beat up you rig rather than the initial failure.

After that, I invested in better tires and a pressure monitoring system. The PMS will not keep you from having a blowout, but the air loss alarm may help you get it stopped before you get beat up.

Let me also vote for Coach-Net. They have served me well several times, both flats and towing. In difficult areas they FOUND someone to come. Once in Maine, they sent someone 40 miles to tow my disabled 2002 F250 and the RV from a rest stop to a dealer also 40 miles away. Additional cost to me, $0.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
After reading this site and suggestions on RV.Net I think I am now clear on what to do when you need to change a flat on a fifth wheel.

1. Call ERS, or
2. Use a jack, but only on the frame, or
3. Use a jack, but only on the axle
4. Use a ramp, or
5. Never use a ramp, or
6. Never use a jack
7. Never call ERS because they will put their jack in the wrong place.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Well, you did ask...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by edmojenks

After reading this site and suggestions on RV.Net I think I am now clear on what to do when you need to change a flat on a fifth wheel.

1. Call ERS, or
2. Use a jack, but only on the frame, or
3. Use a jack, but only on the axle
4. Use a ramp, or
5. Never use a ramp, or
6. Never use a jack
7. Never call ERS because they will put their jack in the wrong place.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dexter representatives, the ones who make the axles, stated at the Rally that the jack should be put under the frame as an earlier poster wrote.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mike call us..check your PM's..re Florida..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by edmojenks

Good news, bad news:

Good news - When I had the blow the trailer didn't swing back and forth and nearly make me lose control of the whole rig.

Bad news - I had no clue I had a blowout. I was in a suburban area and a motorist pulled up beside me and flagged me down.

So, I guess if you are on a long stretch of isolated highway you could have a blowout, not know it and drive forever. The problem I had was that not only did I have a blowout, but I will have to replace the tire skirting and who knows what else that the tire damaged. The price of the tire will be less than the damage it did to my rig.
I use my power trailer mirrors to check both sides of the Monty and truck for tire problems as I am rolling. I can see if the tires are evenly inflated or other concerns.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #19
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
My tire monitors have saved my bacon several times. The last time was when the trailer tire went flat because a belt had broken and punctured the tire. I was able to safely pull over and change the tire. I recommend some type of tire pressure monitor--best investment I have made. This goes along with jacks, etc. to get the tire off and a replacement put back on.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
Carl32092
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11321
That is why people install a tire monitoring system. It is very hard to detect a blow out on a trailer before it does a lot of other damage..
Carl32092 is offline   Reply With Quote