Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
need help on what this code means

we were comming back from a trip from Pikes Peak Colorado and received a code # P0131 anybody out there can send it my way and tell me what it means. we are on the road and having the internet is a luxury so I will put my e-mail address also.
dkr9925@ca.rr.com
thanks for your help.

Don.
TT2

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
Trouble code P0131 means:O2 sensor circuit low voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Trouble is, I can't tell you what means.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
According to this site:

http://www.check-engine-light.com/trouble-codes

the message is "O2 (Oxygen) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)". In the site there is additional information provided by a hyper link and describes provides addition information from owners of a Subaru that had these codes, but most codes are universal and standard and I think this one falls into that category therefore probably applies to what you saw on your vehicle.

There is additional information for an owner of a Subaru that experienced a problem when they changed out the exhaust header and states:

A P0131 is described as 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank I Sensor I). The first thing that comes to mind is where is the front O2 sensor now in relation to where it was prior to the header swap. If it's further down the pipe then it's possible the exhaust gases are cooling down a bit more than before. That's why I think someone suggested you wrap your header, that will help hold that heat in and possibly improve the exhaust gas temperature (EGT) readings at that O2 sensor.

Here's another link for the problem from a Chevy Geo. Again it reads like it could pertain to your problem and includes some things on how to recover from it but you're gonna need an OBD II scan tool of some kind to reset the code.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/New%20LS%20...TC%20P0131.htm

All in all it sounds like a rare condition probably caused by your load and the conditions driving around Pikes Peak. I had a code some time ago after doing some mountain driving. I can't remember the code right off the top of my head, but I did reset it and have never seen it since. It's your choice if you just want to reset it and go on or do something else.

Too bad you are not close by or I'd be glad to let you use my OBD II Tool, no charge.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Hey Don. That is the same code I was telling you about when we were at Ami's Acres. Mine came in when we leaving the Summit on Mt. Evans. As others have stated it is an 02 sensor code. Mine went out about 3 days after it came in and I never had any performance problems with the engine. Jim
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Pikes Peak and Mt. Evans both sound like the altitude. This is not a common code on the ISB engine. Stop by Autozone and see if they will clear it for you or power up and down around 25 times and it will probably clear.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I want to thank everyone for all your help the light went out the next day but I still have the code. when I get home I will take it to a good dealer for them to check it out. and clear the code.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It might be cheaper for you to buy a scanner and reset it yourself. Where I live they either charge $50 to $100, or tell me to disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, then reconnect. I don't like the disconnect battery solution, because my truck has TWO batteries and then there's a chance things might have to be reprogrammed like me radio channels.

Here's the one I have and have used, but there are plenty of others with more features:

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16298

I paid $59.99 plus tax, but I think it can be found cheaper, plus there are others that are cheaper. I wanted simple because I didn't want to get myself in too much trouble.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

It might be cheaper for you to buy a scanner and reset it yourself. Where I live they either charge $50 to $100, or tell me to disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, then reconnect. I don't like the disconnect battery solution, because my truck has TWO batteries and then there's a chance things might have to be reprogrammed like me radio channels.

Here's the one I have and have used, but there are plenty of others with more features:

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16298

I paid $59.99 plus tax, but I think it can be found cheaper, plus there are others that are cheaper. I wanted simple because I didn't want to get myself in too much trouble.
I agree Art but my truck is still in warintee so they can do it I mise as well get my monies worth out of that service.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
P0131 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical DescriptionOxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

What does that mean?

Essentially the same as P0136 and P0137, a P0131 code refers to the first oxygen sensor on Bank 1. P0131 means the O2 oxygen sensor's voltage remained low for longer than 2 minutes. This, is interpreted by the ECM as a low voltage condition and sets the MIL. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is located in front of the catalytic converter.

Symptoms

There may be no visible symptoms to the driver, other than the MIL (Check Engine / Service Engine Soon) illumination.

Causes

A code P0131 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty o2 oxygen sensor
Short to voltage on O2 signal circuit
High resistance or open on O2 signal circuit
Possible SolutionsReplace faulty sensor
Repair short, open, or high resistance on o2 signal circuit
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote