Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Flex issue on front cap area

I have a flex issue on the passenger side just prior to the front cap.

When I hook up to the pin and lower the trailer there is a 1/8" movement on the passenger side and 1/16" on the other

I have sent photos to Keystone to see if this is an issue. I received a reply back from them recommending that I take it in to the dealer to asses and send them information. I also asked them if this type of flex was normal since I have had to re seal the joint on the passenger side almost every trip I have taken. Never on the other side. On one hand they say that this flex is normal, but again it depends on what else maybe happening.
I do not mind taking the unit in to have checked but I would not like to pay out money to find out that this is normal.
Can anyone who may have had issues in regards to flex shed some light on this so I can make a good decision.

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
You should not have to re seal after each trip. There may or may not be a real issue with your unit but if it were mine I would carefully drive it to a really good dealer to have it evaluated. Frames do fail and I would want to know if there was something like that going on.
In my humble opinion, better safe than sorry.
Good luck with it.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Andy and Linda,
Wow! Being able to determine the difference between one eighth and one sixteenth of inch is awesome. I would have a hard time seeing that tiny bit of difference. At this time I would guess that the difference is so slight as to not be a problem. But it is certainly something to watch. I think that flex issue was the first or second most bothersome for me. Thanks to the fine folks here on the MOC I was able to get the flex issue under control. My other issue was the undercarriage; Shackles!

The movement on my flex situation was significantly more than the numbers you are quoting. The vanity cabinet in the bathroom would move up from the floor one half to three quarters of an inch. It would then go back into place when unhooked. It took a couple of years for it to reach that stage. Good luck and keep us informed. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Mine was similier to your's and also on the passenger side. The sealant was rubbed off and you could see where the side wall had moved about 1/4" by the rub marks.
I had the 5er back at the factory service center and showed it to Darryl there and he knew immediatly what was wrong. The bedroom wall had seperated from where it was attached to the floor studs.
They remove the front cap and lower skin, put wood inserts into the aluminum studs on the bedroom wall so the new screws would "bite" and put on longer (and more) screws to re-secure the side wall.
No problems since.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Also, the screws are not self tappers and they made this change on the line as well. Self tappers, when put into wood, just bore out a hole and the threads can't catch.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We just had the frame flex on our Montana repaired last week. When unhooked, the bottom would drop down from both sides about 3/8" and after disassembling the front,our dealer found two broken welds. Keystone provided instructions on how to repair the welds and reinforce the area.

This is probably not related to your problem, but what type of caulking are you using and are you removing the old before applying new? If you are using a caulking that is not compatible to the old caulking, just a slight movement could cause the two materials to separate.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Don;
I used a dealer recommended sealant. Did both sides and only one side is coming off.
I appreciate all the feed back on this subject. My only concern is am I being to concerned with only a 1/8" movement. Is this OK or the start of a flex issue
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You probably have the issue mentioned by wingerphil above. I had it and thought it was normal but a keystone rep saw it at the fall rally and sent me to the service center for the repair.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
My rig had the exact same problem. It's not normal. Factory service center did the same repair as wingerphil. While my skins were off they also welded gussets to the pin bracket.

This happens way too much so the service center is expert at completing the required (manufacturing/design)repair.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Keystone repaired our flex problem in 2003. In 2006 we had to have it redone by professional truck builders. Has had no more than 1/4" flex since then. There has to be some flex because of the length of the rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote