Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
New tires raises new questions

Finally replaced my china bombs with BFGoodrich commericial T/A LT235/85r/16 today. Thanks Lonnie and everyone else who offered suggestions. The owner of the tire dealership mentioned my axles were slightly bent. They do have a slight upper curve. Called the service department where it was purchased and they said the axles should have a slight "camber", and it was normal. Also, the brakes seem to be acting different. Is this normal with new tires? I've actually never had a camper long enough to replace the tires. Thanks for all the response to my previous posts about tires.

TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
TLG, The axles will have an upward bow (camber) in them. That is a good thing. If they were flat or straight that would not be good.

Is it possible your brake controller was changed or fiddled with during your recent tire change. This would cause a difference in the way your brakes act. I'm not sure you would notice much of a change in the way your brakes act by just changing to new tires unless the size changed a lot.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
The size changed a little bit. They were mission ST235/75/16.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sounds like an example of a service station wanting to drum up some business. An ignorant owner would have probably agreed to pay for an "axle service" (not knowing the axles must have a slight upward bow). Then the service tech takes a look, finds all is okay and then pockets some easy money and not doing any work but claiming they did. Then if they find a lot of work is needed, then they can make a lot more. This kind of stuff is tried on me all the time. I call it "jacking the customer", they call it "sales".

Also sounds like something got messed up on the brakes. New tires should NOT ever affect the condition of the brakes. However, maybe mounting the wheels & tires "shook loose" the brake shoes and they need some adjusting, or they are worn out, or something similar.

If adjusting the brake controller doesn't help and if you are unable to adjust the brakes yourself (requires jacking the trailer up to be able to spin each wheel/tire to tighten up the brake shoes) then you might try a visit to a brake shop and have them do it. Make sure they raise the rig from the trailer frame, NOT the axle - if they can't do this go elsewhere. Also, they should not have to remove the wheels, in fact it's much more difficult to adjust the brakes without the wheels.

I hope you get this looked at and taken care of. New rubber and good working brakes helps raise confidence when towing the Monty.

On edit - I wouldn't think the size of those tires (old 235/75-r16 versus new 235/85-r16) would make a difference on your brakes.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Check the wires going to the brakes. When they jacked up your trailer, they may have pulled, or pinched a wire causing a break in the circuit.

On Edit
Quote:
quote:By Art-n-Marge

Make sure they raise the rig from the trailer frame, NOT the axle - if they can't do this go elsewhere.
The ONLY place I will jack mine is on the axle between the u-bolts.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ah yes, Lonnie, I have used that jack point in an emergency but put the actual jack head at the u-bolt itself because the Ubolt metal seems to be stronger/thicker than the axle metal. Fortunately I only had to do this once.

I now travel with a 6 ton bottle jack and several 4x4 blocks to use the frame. This requires quite a travel distance for raising but it works and I don't have to listen to the service guy scolding me if he thinks I was anywhere near the axle. Some are more adamant than others but now I don't have to worry about it. I also use this technique at home when doing tire/wheel brake work.

TLG - best of luck on the brakes. I hope you post your findings.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have a DVD from Montana in torqueing lug nuts and they are jacking on the u-bolts. i questioned them on it and was told that is acceptable.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Well, this guy is not a service station owner trying to jack up some business. He's been around this area 20 plus years. He just mentioned the axles in passing. He doesn't work on them at all. I approached him because he is a BFGoodrich dealer. I told him what I wanted based on the info I got here.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Lonnie, when I showed up at the dealership this morning, thats exactly where he had the camper jacked up, on, or between the U bolt.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Same here, jack up on axle tube between the u-bolts. There is a mechanical advantage in doing this as the wheel to be serviced will clear the ground quickly with minimum lift deflection. Lifting at the frame has the same concerns your suggesting as point load is focused on I beam but additionally, requires significant deflection as springs need to go from compression to fully un-sprung to allow lift of tire...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
So, can you jack where everyone says and still adjust the brakes with the jack in the way?
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Here's the obvious question: how was the wear on your old tires? If they were worn uneven, that is more wear on the outside edges, then you have a problem. If not, you're fine.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote