Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I 40 Clovis NM to Flagstaff

Lousy time of year to be travelling this route, I would imagine. Need to go from San Antonio - Clovis (Texico) - Albuquerque - Flagstaff - Phoenix - San Diego.

Anyone have any hints or suggestions? Planning on Lubbock first night, then Texico for Tires (at Lonnies), then Alb for the night, then direct to Phoeniz.

I40 to I17 seems to be the route. Concerned about weather this time of year. Will be leaving San Antonio on or about Feb 14th.

Thanks in advance for assistance......

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Phil, We took our maiden voyage in this rig 2/06 headed for Phoenix from K.C. Ended up stranded in Holbrook Az. KOA for 3 days in one hell of a snowstorm. (met some great people and had some great snowbound parties) Anything can happen on that road in the winter and it is not always predictable. I think Flagstaff just last week had a ton of snow closing I-40 for a while. If I had to make your trip I'd probably head south out of Clovis to I-20 of if you can get clear roads to Albuquerque then head south on I-25 to I-10. We took the I-20 to I-10 to I-8 route last year to San Diego. Good roads with a little construction, some border patrol check points, but no snow or icey roads. Sorry you are going to miss the Spring Rally. We looked forward to meeting the two of you. Hope your family situation turns out good. Jim
Old 02-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Phil,

I suggest that you take US 60 due west out of Clovis to I-25 them I-25 due south to I-10. It should help you avoid the elevation in Albuquerque and Flagstaff.

Grant
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:17 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Like was mentioned above, I40 was closed last week as well as I17. Not a good time of year for either road. South sounds better.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Phil , if you have to travel from the the north part of the state, your planned route is about your best shot. Its hard to predict weather, however, keep in mind that while there could be some nasty weather, the I 40 is a major highway that seldom closes, it happens just not often. When you hit 17 South in flag you sill only have 50 to 60 miles of potential bad stuff, but again , this a major thorough fare to Flagstaff , and road maintenance is constant. Once you get down toward Prescott and Camp Verde, your threat of in climate weather is pretty much over, and it will be clear sailing.

As you come down the mountain into Phoenix, you will want to take the 101 west , to the 10 west{about 20 miles} once you get on 10 west you will travel another 20 miles or so to the 85 south.This will take you to Gila Bend, and I8 to San Diego. Get fuel in Phoenix, Gila Bend is in the middle of nowhere , and as such , fuel is more expensive.Once you get on the 8 west out of Gila Bend , your next stop will be Yuma,it is about an two hour drive from Gila Bend to Yuma. Be sure to fill up in Yuma before you leave Az, the fuel is usually cheaper than Ca, and once you leave Yuma, the only place to get fuel is El Centro, again it is more expensive.

About 30 miles west of El Centro you will hit Mountain springs Grade, its a good one...lol. After you top out , there are a couple little ones before you drop into San Diego .

Where are you staying in San Diego ? We would enjoy meeting you both if your time here permits, if you have any questions about my directions let me know. Be safe , and have a great day...Scott
Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks everyone!! I think my plan at this point is to be flexible depending on the weather. I definitely do not want to get caught up in ice and snow. I may even just hop on I10 from here and take the southern route to SaN Diego. We will see when the time comes to leave.

Grant, that is a great idea. I didn't think about that. Bypassing mountain roads during the winter is the way to go.

Scott, at this point, we have no idea how long we will be in SD. We will initially park at 1000 Trails near Jamul and move to Admiral Baker RV Park on the 23rd of Feb. Have a month there so far. If I need to stay longer we will go back to Jamul for three weeks then back to Adm Baker....I'm sure we could fit in a luncheon or two while there. I love "Old Town" and Balboa Park.

See you in a few weeks!!!!!!

Phil
Old 02-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Great Phil, look forward to it , Admiral Baker is a nice place, I used to fish along the San Diego river down there when I was younger. I haven't been down to that park in Jamul in years , however it was real well kept years ago, its just a long ways from everything, and Highway 94 can be a busy road. Either way we will see you sometime during your stay. I don't know how familiar you are with the area , but if you have any questions , feel free to ask, I was born and raised here . Hope you have a safe trip. Scott

PS Be careful coming through Arizona, they have those Lethal Cameras on the freeway and they will get ya if you get a heavy right foot...LOL
Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Scott, my son has lived there since 2001 and we have visited several times. Did Admiral Baker for a few weeks and the 1000 Trails at Pio Pico in Jamul. We really like the town and surrounding area. I can see why my son has put up with the high expenses since being there. We will contact you when we get there and will watch for the cameras going through AZ. Lived in Tucson for five years also. Like the area but OH THE HEAT!!!!! Phil