Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
That statement was why I contacted them. Here is the reply I got:

Tom,

I do not know of a pin box that will not work with the BXR4105.
Thank you for contacting Blue Ox, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank You

Deanna Graham

Returns & Warranty

deannagraham@blueox.us

We have since up graded the the Mor Ryde pin box and everything is fine.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #22
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

That statement was why I contacted them. Here is the reply I got:

Tom,

I do not know of a pin box that will not work with the BXR4105.
Thank you for contacting Blue Ox, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank You

Deanna Graham

Returns & Warranty

deannagraham@blueox.us

We have since up graded the the Mor Ryde pin box and everything is fine.
Thanks Tom, that answered my question.
I'll order the bed saver asap. After 30 years
I retired as a pro driver and I know mistakes can happen,
the bed saver is cheap insurance.Thanks again,
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #23
Peg Jack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8568
I have a 16K Reese hitch, and the manual tells me to back into the hitch with the jaws closed. This way I can see the arm open and then close again, then I know i'm locked in. But always check with a flashlight to make sure.
Peg Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #24
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We spraypainted the jaws white so that they are easier to see because their position inside the hitch is heavily shadowed.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #25
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Not sure if I am doing it wrong but I keep the wheel chocks in place and take the weight on the hitch so the landing legs are just touching the wood pads. I check that the lock pin is in the hitch handle (it supposedly won't go in if the jaws aren't fully closed) and then pull ahead while applying the brakes on the trailer. If the 5th pin stays in against the truck's pull I assume I am OK. I figure that if it does slip out the landing legs will prevent it from doing damage to the bed rails as the gap when hitched is about 6.5 inches, enough to allow for the drop of the trailer and the lift of the truck. Am I kidding myself?
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #26
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Peg Jack

I have a 16K Reese hitch, and the manual tells me to back into the hitch with the jaws closed. This way I can see the arm open and then close again, then I know i'm locked in. But always check with a flashlight to make sure.
That is NOT good enough!!!! The jaw on mine was 'closed' and the safety pin went in to the hole. The problem was, the latch arm was still about 1" out, which let the safety pin go in, but the hitch was not securely latched! You must be able to see the 'flag' too!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #27
goldwingman

M.O.C. #9777
While on this subject, thought I'd share this story.

Ran into an individual that parked his rig near a resturant and went in to eat. SOMEONE pulled the front pins from the hitch. When he pulled forward, the hitch rolled up and back and dropped the 5th into the bed.

I always check my hitch and pins when I return to my rig regardless of the elapsed time.

goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #28
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Thanks Tom S. I forgot about the flag bit. I have the hitch up in the garage. I am going to give it a good look over to see what other safeguards are possible e.g. painting it white. I have the Reese Signature and I find that the height of the pin is critical in relation to the jaw when hitching or it jams the flag and won't close properly.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #29
Al B
Established Member

M.O.C. #3654
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RCN.Stoker

Not sure if I am doing it wrong but I keep the wheel chocks in place and take the weight on the hitch so the landing legs are just touching the wood pads. I check that the lock pin is in the hitch handle (it supposedly won't go in if the jaws aren't fully closed) and then pull ahead while applying the brakes on the trailer. If the 5th pin stays in against the truck's pull I assume I am OK. I figure that if it does slip out the landing legs will prevent it from doing damage to the bed rails as the gap when hitched is about 6.5 inches, enough to allow for the drop of the trailer and the lift of the truck. Am I kidding myself?
I agree with this method. It is a sure-fired way to insure your trailer is hooked in properly. I do this every time and will continue to for as long as I am pulling. There is also a hole in a lot of the hitch handles where a lock can be put to prevent people from pulling the handle and setting you up for an unhook.
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #30
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Does anyone have a picture of the Bed Saver installed?
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #31
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
I have the 16k Super 5th hitch. (check out the link below)
When I first seen it I thought the latch arrangement looked like a step up from some of the others on the market. They advertise .030” pin to latch clearance! What I didn’t realize was this close tolerance would create problems getting the latch to close completely. It took me and two other mechanics over one hour to make it work when I first picked up the trailer. Even the paint on the pin had to be removed in order to get it to finally close. It seems to be latching easier the more I use.
After reading the problems some of the seasoned owners had I ordered the bed saver today. Hopefully I’ll never need it but I feel better already!!

Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #32
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
George, this is a pic of the bed saver that saved our truck and rig last Monday. I now see that Ididn't take this from far enough away but you should get the idea. It attaches right to the hitch.(it was dark out when I took this)
Old 02-06-2010, 03:26 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All of these .."I do it this way" are absolutly correct. IF you are not distracted, IF you can never be distracted, IF you do not make a mistake, IF you can never make a mistake. No one drops the camper on purpose. It is a mistake.It is a accident and it is common.

We have had the BS since day one. We have never dropped the camper. We are alert when hooking, we double check then Helen double checks. We follow a strict routine. We have made mistakes...We can make one in hooking up..We are not perfect (well almost) We invested 150.. in a BS three years ago. Never used it.. bad investment?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #34
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Here's better pix (it's daylight now) - Jim

Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #35
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Has anyone had a trailer drop with the B&W Hitch. Always seems to latch well and slams closed. I don't think they make a bedsaver for my hitch and was curious if any had actually dropped. After reading these horror stories makes me start wonder if it is something I need to find.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #36
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Does anyone know if there is a bed saver for a 18k pullrite SuperGlide hitch?I can not find one at blue ox. I have not called superGlide yet,that will happen on Monday.

thanks
David (bear) in BEAUTIFUL Coeur D Alene,Idaho
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #37
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boylanag

Here's better pix (it's daylight now) - Jim

boylanag, If you would get me the measurements on the arms that attach to the hitch, I might just make me one of those. Then it will be ready for my new rig. Dropping isn't good. Know some that dropped his while going up a hill and the king pin make about a 6foot gouge in the pavement. $$$$$$$$ Thanks, Mike
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #38
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
To much black with the fifth wheel hitch and the pin box, you have to double check everything. I painted my pin box red and the jaws on my hitch are painted white. I have the little can of white paint with me and use the foam brushes to paint it. I keep the jaws white at all times. When you pull the 5vr over the bed to hook up it can be dark and in the morning or evening this area can be real dark. You have to double check your safety lock on the hitch and make sure it is the lock position in hitch arm holes before you pull out to hit the road.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes.. Our Jaws are painted White and the pin box is yellow. White around yellow and there is no doubt it is hooked.... We Check that everytime... never made a mistake... it can't happen...still have the Bedsaver.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #40
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Mike, we are in the process of changing trucks and our hitch and bed saver are at the dealership. email or PM me later and remind me and I will measure them, if you still wish. We also paint our jaws white. Before we did that, it was very difficult to see them in the early morning when light level was low.