Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Weak Signal in Living Room TV - A Fix

Last trip out I found that we could receive some (fringe) channels on the bedroom (BR) TV that we couldn't in the living room (LR) (with the antenna). Snugged down all the cable connections with only very slight improvement.

Discovered that the splitter to supply the basement connection also supplied the LR - by far the longest cable run. Took the splitter out of the circuit by disconnecting its input from the amp control board and connecting the LR cable directly to the board. Problem solved.
Now I just need to find one of the six bizillion extra cables I have kicking around and put the splitter in the BR circuit. This isn't critical now since we don't use the basement TV hookup at all (so far).

I just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else had similar frustrations.

db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
grizmt
Established Member

M.O.C. #9642
Dang, maybe THAT'S it!!!! We just started having tv issues where if you turn one on and it's on let's say nbc then you turn the bedroom on BOTH lose signal.
I need to find out where these splitters are on a 2010 Big Sky 34RLQ
grizmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Thanks for the info,iam sure this could be a fix for a lot of us that dont use the basement tv.
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Splitters will degrade a signal, but it shouldn't be that apparent, unless the splitter is bad. It sounds like the basement line has a problem, like maybe a short in the line or the jack.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have several splitters installed in my rig and I don't have the issues so I can agree with what Tom says to some extent. I have had experience with crappy splitters that when swapped out with a new one has improved things.

Db_engineer: Would you be willing to try a new splitter? I also found that I had to replace as much as the coax with RG6 wherever I could. That has been a bigger problem for me when used with a splitter and satellite TV. I still have a couple of places needing replacement.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I do not have a basement splitter in my 2007 3400. However I have a VERY noticeable drop in signal strength in the LR TV when on "air". I have the exact same problem as grizmt. Since I use satellite almost exclusively, it is not an issue real high on my list of projects to dive into. I do agree this is an inherent problem in many Montanas, though.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I have several splitters installed in my rig and I don't have the issues so I can agree with what Tom says to some extent. I have had experience with crappy splitters that when swapped out with a new one has improved things.

Db_engineer: Would you be willing to try a new splitter? I also found that I had to replace as much as the coax with RG6 wherever I could. That has been a bigger problem for me when used with a splitter and satellite TV. I still have a couple of places needing replacement.
Once I remember to bring a section of good cable with me to the rig I will swap cable around and put the splitter into the BR circuit as a test before I invest in a new one. Since we don't use the basement cable outlet it's not a priority for me. I'll consider upgrading the cable to RG6, at least where it is exposed.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I had to look it up:

Choosing the correct cable
Use the table below to determine which cable should be used for your application.
Analog TV RG59/U Acceptable performance on cable runs
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I've worked for a TV Cable Company and in the Electronics Industry for over 40 plus years. A two way splitter will cut the signal strength in half to each out put. I just purchases a 2010 Montana 2955 and noticed the same problem. I removed the splitter in the line to the LV and Basement and connected the line to a new wall plate. Now is I want to use the Basement outlet I move the main output on the Antenna plate to the new wall plate where the basement line is connected. The Living Room is connected to the aux line out on the Antenna plate. Another thing to remember, in some cases, such as those with a sound system with Radio, there is another splitter between the TV and the Stereo. So in the factory set-up, the signal is split in half (between the living room and basement) then again between the TV and Stereo. I'm thinking of add an in-line amp from Radio Shack to over come the loss of the splitter for the TV and Stereo.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771
... I'm thinking of add an in-line amp from Radio Shack to over come the loss of the splitter for the TV and Stereo.

If you do that, please let us know how well it works and model/part number. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Originally posted by mhs4771
... I'm thinking of add an in-line amp from Radio Shack to over come the loss of the splitter for the TV and Stereo.

let us know how it works and the best place to install it...... and also in the bedroom is that a in line amp.also
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote