Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
Water heater problem

So, I have a gas water heater that just went out. I searched through my packet and the water heater manual is the only one they did not provide and of course that is the one the manual owners manual refers you to for further information. I even went to the Suburban site and could not find the maintenance manual. If someone can give me some suggestions I would be very greatful.
Here is what it does. I turn on the inside switch and the gas comes on for about 5 seconds and then turns off. Then what I think is the starter starts klicking but nothing happens. Before I call in the repair guy I am hoping that it may be something simple that I can fix. Thanks for any help you can give.

NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
http://www.ducktec.com/suburban-wate...eshooting.html Might try that site.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Just an idea, you might want to try blowing out the tube. Critters (spiders) sometimes like to build nests in them.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Question, did you switch over gas tanks prior to the problem? You may have turned tank on to fast and the tank safety valve shut off the flow. Turn tank off and re-open slowly. thats my two cents worth....
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I'm going through a similar problem with our 2006 3400. But the symptoms are different and your description isn't the way the lighting sequence is supposed to work. When you turn on the inside switch, after a few seconds of delay the gas valve solenoids should open and the igniter should start sparking at the same time. If it doesn't light the first time it will shut both the igniter and gas valves off for a second try a few seconds later. For a total of three tries and then quit until you shut off the inside switch for 10 seconds and then you can try again. There are two gas valves opened by parallel wired solenoids. Both have to open simultaneously for gas to flow.But you seem to be describing that the gas valve solenoids open and then close and then the igniter tries to light the gas. That doesn't compute. You can check to see if both solenoids are working by disconnecting one at a time and see if they operate independently. However until the sequence is right it just isn't going to work. Maybe it would help if you had someone turn on the inside switch while you are observing the solenoids and the igniter. Then report back on what is found.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Definitely do what Racerjoe has suggested. As a way to check and make sure you have gas flowing we always turn on a burner on the stove. If that burns true blue then we know we are getting gas. If not we double check the propane tanks and make sure we've got gas in them and that they are connected properly and that the valve is turned on correctly.

Never hurts to make sure.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

HamRad

On edit corrected some spelling.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
One thing I just thought about. When that red step down regulator on our auxiliary gas bottle went bad, there was not enough flow to operate the water heater or the furnace, if we were on that bottle. The stove top would work fine.

I removed the regulator out of the line. Since then, I think Rich posted a very good write-up on the purpose of that regulator.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote