Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Blown Tire & Vehicle Damage

2nd posting for the day...

While returning from Iowa (back to Wichita), the left front tire blew it's tread and did some sheet metal as well as under belly damage.

Any suggestions as to what to watch out for when I go get the mess fixed??

John

jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry to hear you have damage. Been there. Just make sure they do the underneath repairs as well as the cosmetics on the exterior.

If you don't have them, I highly recommend the use of the Pressure Pro pressure monitoring system. It might not have prevented the blowout, but it would have instantly alarmed if the pressure dropped so you might have prevented as much damage.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Been there, done that very recently. If they were Mission tires look along the tire right next to the rim and you should see an 800 number for Tireco. Call that # and tell them you had a tire blowout with damage and they will connect you with Dawn at Tireco and she will help with the claim. They will replace the bad tire with a Freestar brand tire. They will ship direct to the CG you are at if you want. They will want the blown tire back. If you are going replace all your tires with good tires than have the tire shop check very closely the tires they remove for defects and internal damage as Tireco will reemburse you for all the bad tires that you have. They will give you a claim # and require you to get 3 estimates for repair ( they want you to jump through the hoops) You can fax them in or email them. Take pics of the damage and email them to Tireco. All of this helps but they claim that it takes 45 to 90 days to process the claim for damage. Some get a settlement right away, some have to wait the 90 days and longer. We have two estimates so far and need a third. They want all the pictures and estimates and claim forms filed within 6 months of the claim to cover the damage... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Thanks Stiles and Dave. Ironically, I just installed the identical TPMS on Thursday before we hit the road coming back home on Saturday. Yes, it did alarm, but it was about a second after I heard a loud bang (tread including steel belts coming off). I think the tire held pressure for a second or less before it let loose. The insurance adjuster is suppose to come out in the morning... Will let you all know what happens.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Since Freestar is not a well known brand I thought I'd comment we also had Mission problems. The Freestars they gave us have served us very well, so far. I noticed the Freestars have a higher max weight rating by around 300 pounds per tire. 34xx, if I recall, compared to the 31xx of our Missions. The tires also were heavier to lift and seemed of stronger construction than the Missions. So far we're pleased with the Freestars.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Steve,

Roughly how many miles do you have on your Freestar tires??
Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Just an update folks...

Have two of the three estimates so far ($4,700 and $6,400). And I was only doing 45mph!!!! 5'er at 3rd RV shop now. Have initiated and received claim number. After I get 3rd estimate I'm going to take it by a tire shop for a CLOSE examination of all tires. Hope to get the form, pictures, and estimates to Tireco next week!!

BTW, I'm having a difficult time here in Wichita to find 235/80/16's. Goodyear seems to have a load range D, but the weight capability just isn't there. Still looking - any suggestions as to a reputable brand name tire??

Thanks for the support.

John
Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had Missions, then replaced all of them with Goodyear Marathons after the first tire failure.

There are other good brands to try like Michelin, Goodyear. Are you saying you tried Goodyear stores in Wichita - they should be able to get them pretty quick? You don't say the year and model of your rig but you will most probably be looking for at least E-rated. G-rated (might be more expensive) tires are another possibility but check your wheels that they will support the air pressure required by these. There are other topics in this forum commenting on trailer tire brands but this should be a start.

Also check the date code on your existing tires. So many of us lose our tires due to age or running over debris or jumping off curbs (when turning too tight) and not tire wear. I have learned to avoid curb jumping with better driving experience and making sure I straighten tires out after making tight turns especially when backing in. Both of these will shorten the life of tires.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote