Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
HIGH WINDS

ALEXANDRIA BAY, N.Y. -- High winds caused a very dangerous situation on the Thousand Islands Bridge in Alexandria Bay Sunday. The bridge was closed for most of the day after two campers flipped over on it.

The Thousand Islands Bridge Authority says two Canadian couples were traveling south into the United States when they ran into 70 mile an hour wind gusts near the bridge's highest point. The bridge authority says traffic had been restricted due to the high winds, but the campers were already in the system, having come through Canadian customs. There were no injuries reported.

Traffic was backed up for about a mile on Interstate 81, and people were stuck in the traffic for several hours. Officials say everyone involved is extremely lucky, because the situation could have been much worse.

"Very lucky, very lucky. All occupants of the vehicles, we are very fortunate they were not injured. It's taken us a while to clear the bridge of the wreckage due to the high winds we're still encountering," said Shane Sanford with the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority.

The bridge reopened around 5 p.m. Sunday night. Traffic is still restricted, meaning no campers, RVs, buses or empty tractor trailers can cross until the wind dies down for a sustained period of time.

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Whoa, glad I wasn't there at that time!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sustained winds are something that we can know about, but a gust is something that just comes up. Ever time I cross a high rise bridge I think about it.

I'm so glad no one got hurt.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Southwest Montana (I-15, I-90) is getting some of the worst winds ever experienced, and for sure the worst since we moved up here in 2002. We are SO glad we aren't living in our Montana this winter--I don't think we'd have slept well for worrying about it turning over.

If you are planning on traveling between Butte MT and Idaho Falls ID on I-15, you might check with the Montana Highway Patrol or other service to see what conditions are like. It's not only the wind that's a problem, but the ice on the road and blowing snow. Of course, things can change from hour to hour, but the Monida Pass on I-15 has been closed more this year than in years past; it was closed Christmas day and the day after, stranding a lot of people for the second time in 2 months.

Wind gusts are a regular thing as you head south ion I-15 from Dillon, just as you get close to Barrett's Minerals and Barretts Park. There's about a mile stretch there, and another one before you get to Clark Canyon Dam, where a wind gust can literally shove you from one side of the road to the other if the roads are icy. If the roads are clear, you just get a hard slam one way or another. I drive that road twice a day all year long and have encountered those surprise gusts regularly.

The NWS said we've gotten winds of up to 75 mph here in the last week or so. It's blowing so hard right now that the roar from outside drowns out the television sound occasionally. You couldn't get our dogs or cat out of the house with a shoehorn; they are scared to death.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Having lived just 30 miles from the TI I know that bridge very well as I crossed it many many times. With a 5th wheel behind you, get on top of that bridge with winds of just 25 miles per hour and you are in for a some what scary drive.
The video didn't say what the wind speed was without the gusts. As the TI bridge is the busiest US/Canadian span east of Lake Ontario, I do know the TIBA is sometimes a little laxed at closing it. At times, they do have a tendency to push the envelope.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote