Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
INSTALLING A ELECTRIC FRIG?

Those who have replaced your junk dometic frig with a plug in type..
can you tell me how to do this, picture[removal and install] if you have them and where do you plug in when installed?

cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Cmp-shooter,

I haven't actually traded out the fridge. But when my repaired fridge goes out I'll be replacing it with a regular residential type. I was over on the RV net and followed a thread on this subject. It looks like a straight forward process.

First remove the old fridge. Then put in the new one. There is a 110 outlet located in the access compartment. Just plug it in there.

You may want to check out the info on the RV net. There is a lot of flaming in this particular thread but not so bad that you can't get a lot of good info. I believe it is under the GENERAL category.

They posted some nice pics of the project.

Let us know how it goes. I'd be interested to know how this project turns out.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
One of our neighbors in Aransas Pass replaced his fridge with an apartment unit. It fit the hole rather nicely. I never saw the finished product, but it just needed a small facing around the hole to make it look like a factory install.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We did years ago in prior unit, sorry no photos.

Unit was old we did not bother to trim out in the front, there was about .5 inch gap on the sides, don't remember bout the top.

We did strap down. Best I remember, and that is not so good these days

Al took metal straping material, one end went somewhere on the back of the frig, where it would not hit electric or lines, etc.

Other end was attached to floor.

Access was gained via the vent on outside of trailer, the frig vent, the one on the wall of unit.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Whirlpool 24" Fridge from LOWES almost fit perfectly, but did have to cut and sand some of the woodwork framing to squeeze it in. Also reused the Dometic top trim and had to maake some wood trim for the bottom, also stuffing insulation in as the residential fridge has an open bottom that lets in a lot of Cold air in the Winter (learned from experience)
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote