Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Aluminum Wheels

Does anyone know the manufacture of the aluminum wheels that were supplied on the Montana's in 2004? They are 6 lug with a 4 1/4" center hole. I have one that cracked and is not holding air. I am going to buy a steel wheel tomorrow so I can get the rig home but would like to contact the manufacture to see where I can get another to match.

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Doug,

I do not know the MFG of the wheel. Perhaps a contact with Keystone would clarify. I assume you have a spare.? My spare is a steel wheel.... I think. You might check with Les Schwab. Doubt they'll have exactly the same brand but probably get one real close. I doubt Keystone can even get the exact same model since it's been a few years since you got your rig.

You may end up having to get a whole new set for things to match!

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Doug,
I was really fortunate one time when my aluminum wheel (just like yours) developed a crack by the valve stem hole. I was in a tire dealer's place where they also sold wheels. I told him I wanted a steel wheel but he told me he had an exact replacement aluminum which he sold me for $50. Another time, not so fortunate when I was buying new tires (LonnieB), another one of the aluminum wheels also had a leak around the valve stem hole. Had to buy a new steel wheel so now I have three aluminum wheels and two steel wheels. So what, the rig still rolls.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Paint the steel wheel different kaleidescope colors and when some one asks, tell them you are experimenting with air velocity at different colors.

Would work for me!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
DHenry,
I have exactly the same problem. I have not been able to get anybody to claim making the product. So, right now I have three aluminum and one steel wheel until I can find a close match.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Wayne-- Only you could come up with an answer like that one!

Doug-- Was it nailbender that lost his rig and scrapped the unit? If so, maybe he still has his old rims that he'd sell you! Just a thought!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dennis, yes I have a spare, but I am still in Canada and a long way from home without a spare now that I have used it.

Rondo-Good idea and I hope that his would match but I think his was a newer model and probably a 8 lug rim.

Orv, I think I will be doing the same as you did.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Montana_3118
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3118
Doug what wheel do you have my 04 has eight lugs. But I do have a new six lug that may fit yours email me with pictures and info the price is right free you pay shipping
Montana_3118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
birdie,
Thank you for your offer of your rim. I emailed you.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
You are right Doug, they are 8 lug wheels. When I get time, I want to install the tires and wheels on my dump trailer. Should be the best looking dump trailer in the county. Actually I really don't need the nice wheels on the dump, but don't know what else to do with them.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Doug: When my rims got a crack (2 of them) Keystone replaced all 4 rims. I still have the other two. The rims came fom HWT (HiSpec Wheel & Tire Inc.) They are part #467865. I don't know if they are the same but I expect that they are as our unit is a 2004 also. I don't know if you can see if they are the same rim from the pic. below.
On edit: You can't tell from the pic but if you send me your email address I will send you a digital pic so you can compare.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:35 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
When we had the Cambridge I had two wheels crack. They were Tredit wheels, google Tredit wheels you might be surprised. I had the 8 lug wheels that required 110 lbs air pressure. After the second wheel cracked (the new replacement wheel 200 miles) that was enough for me. I replaced them all with Alcoa Aluminum much better wheel, you could actually see the difference. Southwest wheel of Dallas Texas. Many of the Cambridge wheels cracked. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Doug,
I apologize for not telling you this was going to happen(his problems seem to follow mine). One of ours started leaking last year. I called Tredit and told them what was going on and they sent me a new one. Hope you're having a good time and the rest of the trip goes well
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Charlie, do I dare ask what is next?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Everythings copasetic right now so chill out and have a good time.

By the way, how long till Quartzsite????
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #16
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann

Doug: When my rims got a crack (2 of them) Keystone replaced all 4 rims. I still have the other two. The rims came fom HWT (HiSpec Wheel & Tire Inc.) They are part #467865. I don't know if they are the same but I expect that they are as our unit is a 2004 also. I don't know if you can see if they are the same rim from the pic. below.
On edit: You can't tell from the pic but if you send me your email address I will send you a digital pic so you can compare.
Bill,

I contacted Tredit about my wheel on my Mountaineer and they told me they thought they came from HiSpec Wheel & Tire. Over the weekend I contacted HWT via their website. They responded this morning and said to send them the wheel and they will replace it after inspecting it. I followed up with an email asking if they had determined the wheel to be one of theirs based on my description. I have not heard back yet, but hope to tomorrow. I don't want to send the wheel only for them to decide it isn't theirs after all. I'll let you all know what I find out. My wheel is a 6 lug and does look like one of the ones offered on their website.

Here's a link: www.hispecwheel.com
Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 AM   #17
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I did get an email back from HiSpec Wheel & Tire confirming that they did in fact make my wheel. I'm off to get the tire dismounted and ship the wheel to them. I'm afraid to see what shipping will be. I'll follow up as things progress.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 AM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Lamar-- Do you have a set of crutches glued in a circle so you can take your rig down the road while you send the rim to the factory? It could get real messy if you try running two on one side and only one on the other!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #19
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Fortunately, I have an extra steel wheel and tire I can use. She does look a little funny with three aluminum and one white steel wheel though.

BTW, I shipped the wheel and it cost me $16.98 for shipping. If they replace the wheel and I think they will, I'll feel pretty good about this one.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 AM   #20
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Lamar: That will be a cheap rim if they replace it with new.
Doug: Sorry it wasn't the same. We have been sort of having the same problems so I figured the rims could have been the same. Strange that they put diff. rims on a Big Sky though. I have also found out (maybe you have also) that the big slides have to be adjusted quite frequently or the mark the kitchen floor and don't go all the way in after a bit.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote