Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
warranty

Has anyone been refused warranty service from their local Keystone dealer? We wanted a Big Sky which our local Montana dealer could not get for us so we purchased out of state. Our local dealer refuses to do any warranty work (just parts exchange--DVD player). Has anyone run into this? Should I report them to Keystone?

greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Last thing I would want is a dealer to work on my RV when he didn't want to. It's hard enough to get things done right when they are co-operative. I think I would shop around for someone else. Also, if they don't want to do the work, perhaps Keystone will authorize an independent repair shop to do the work. I know they used to do that, but was told by a shop in Longview, TX they had stopped that practice.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
This has happened and will continue, I suppose, until the agreements with the dealers and Keystone are changed. This is, by the way, RV industry wide type of attitude.

Many dealerships have on the walls of their service centers, OUR PURCHASING CUSTOMERS WILL BE SERVICED FIRST. Meaning, if you bought from them, they will put you high on the totem pole of service requests. If you are a walk in, you get treated like the bottom of the pole, dirt!

It is the chance we take when we buy down the road from our local dealer. That is the way it is. Some of us here at MOC think it is stinky, but, it is the way of the RV world.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There seems to be bad apples in every barrel. Not all dealers are cooperative with owners who didn't buy from their store. A second issue is that since they don't handle Big Sky units in their sales, they may not feel competent to handle warranty issues on the Big Sky. Tomorrow I have an appointment in Gillette, WY to replace my Dometic microwave/convection oven.

The first dealer I called would not touch it saying their techs didn't know about that microwave., but Eastside RV worked with Dometic to get a replacement and it is setting there awaiting our arrival. I am not even sure that Eastside is a Montana dealer. My dealer is in Missouri. So there are dealers that will service outsiders.

You might consider talking to your dealer before calling Keystone to see what they have to say about helping you. They may want to ship you the replacement and have you return the defective item. Ultimately, I would have to lodge a complaint with Keystone about this dealer's uncooperative responce.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

There seems to be bad apples in every barrel. Not all dealers are cooperative with owners who didn't buy from their store. A second issue is that since they don't handle Big Sky units in their sales, they may not feel competent to handle warranty issues on the Big Sky. Tomorrow I have an appointment in Gillette, WY to replace my Dometic microwave/convection oven.

The first dealer I called would not touch it saying their techs didn't know about that microwave., but Eastside RV worked with Dometic to get a replacement and it is setting there awaiting our arrival. I am not even sure that Eastside is a Montana dealer. My dealer is in Missouri. So there are dealers that will service outsiders.

You might consider talking to your dealer before calling Keystone to see what they have to say about helping you. They may want to ship you the replacement and have you return the defective item. Ultimately, I would have to lodge a complaint with Keystone about this dealer's uncooperative responce.
Thanks, I will contact our selling dealer to see if they will switch it out for us.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I can't believe he turned away a sale on a Big Sky to begin with.

What you are experiencing is an unpleasant aspect of the industry with many issues that contribute. To me, the root problem is the Dealership ends up eating all or part of the costs for warranty work to keep the customer happy, because the factory doesn't pay enough for competent mechanics to do the work or just flat denies the claim altogether. As a result, it ends up being a bad business practice to do warranty work on rigs from other stores. As an example, our Dealer repaired a prior generation Big Sky frame flex issue that took over 6-man days to repair, yet he was only paid $900 from Keystone. He said if it wasn't for return customers, he would refuse the work and point the customer toward Indiana.

The fix to the industry isn't necessarily a better choice either. Some of the boating industry has leaned toward conglomerate Dealership franchises that are all owned by the same company. You can get your boat fixed at any of these dealerships you want, but you pay heavily at the up front deal to get that luxury. Discounts off MSRP don't get much deeper than 10% anymore. All I can say is "careful what you ask for" because these rigs could quickly get a $90K price tag that is non-negotiable if converted to franchise dealerships.

To me, you are better off rolling it (or dragging it) back to where you bought it and suffer through the first year. After that, you're on your own anyway and can go where you want.

BTW, congrats on that new rig!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Unfortunately, this is industry wide. I know that if I was in the business, my customers and repeat customers would stand at the head of the line. However, I would do everything within my power to help the "walk-ins" because that's always a possible customer. My dealer told me about a potential customer who, for $500, purchased his rig 50 miles away and then came and demanded warranty work be done by my dealer. What a fool! I would much rather pay a little more and know I'm going to get the best of service.

Now, having said that, the majority of dealers will get you in if you are on the road and haven't come in from some other dealer where you purchased the rig at a cheaper price. We've found that most dealers and independent RV service places are happy to get your business because you are a potential customer. He who does not service does not stay in business long.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
This so much BS (not Big Sky), We bought ours in Wisconsin and had the black tank changed out at Campers World in Savannah. They don't even sell Montana or Big Sky, they sell Outback, but that makes them a Keystone service center and they were happy to service our rig. It is really a shame that some dealers have to be AHs (not air hoses)when dealing with RV customers. What difference does it make if you didn't buy from them, a customer is a customer and if this slump continues those clowns will be dropping like leaves in fall. They need to keep their customer base not chase it away. Regardless of whether it is industry wide or not, it still isn't right. I would definitely contact Keystone, and ask if there is another service center near by. They helped us find CW in Savannah... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Your unit has a 1 year bumper to bumper KEYSTONE warranty. Keystone is obligated to honor that warranty. You have been denied warranty service by a Keystone dealer that makes it a Keystone problem.. I would be on the phone to Keystone saying , very politely, I need warranty service and have been denied by your agent.Let them deal with it. The root of this industry wide problem is that the manufacturer may not cover the cost of warranty work.... Our local dealers labor rate is 89.00 per hour. Keystone may or may not pay that rate back to the dealer. My guess is that if you were asking for NON Warranty work you would be on the schedule ASAP.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Well, Kudos are in order to 4 Seasons RV in Abilene (Enterprise) KS. When we were looking to upgrade from our Mountaineer my wife saw our current SOB and, although the dealer sure worked to persuade her to Montana, was not able to. However, any time we've needed service they have taken us in and treated us professionally, courteosly, and with the same speed and experience as any of their other customers. Granted, warranty work specifit to the brand was taken to another (branded) dealer, but things like the Dometic recall, problems with our slides and recently, inspecting for hail / storm damage -- all done by 4 Seasons. Phil in the service department is super.

As someone above mentioned -- we are all potential customers, but more importantly, we are customers to that profit center of the dealer ship -- and that is, ultimately the bottom line -- to make a profit. You won't make a profit for long if you turn away work.

Finally, just as in this post, I have no qualms sending people to 4 Seasons RV. Whether you are looking for a new trailer, or upgrades / supplies for your current one -- word of mouth carries a lot of weight when trying to figure out who to deal with!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
richfaa, You are exactly right about the warranty work. While on hold for the service department their message says they will do repairs on ANY brand make or model. The service manager himself told me it costs him to do warranty work. We only need our DVD home theater unit exchanged. I have emailed Keystone about the denial and am awaiting their reply. BUT I don`t want a hostile service department doing any work for me.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
greener,

when you don't get an email response, try calling, they do better with phone calls than email, or at least that is what is reported here on the forum.

I think there are numbers posted on the pages that Glenn did for us, and if you cannot find, write back, someone (lots) knows those numbers.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Here’s a good one; however, it wasn't warrantee work but work that I had done. I guess I just need to vent a little after thinking about this.

We had our Monty in for repairs (non warrantee issue.) When they told me it was ready, they told me it would be ready to pick up in about 2 hours. I got there in 3 hours and then I had to wait on them. They came out later on in the day after I had already paid for all the service work and told me it was still leaking (sewer and tank work) and it would have to be worked on again and it would be another day or two. When I came back to pick it up they tried to charge me for 4 more hours labor of which I didn't think I should have been charged for at that point. This lady told me they thought they were being fair by only charging me for 4 hours labor when she said it took 12. I told her I thought it would be fair if I wasn’t charged anything for the labor at all. I asked if there was anyone else I could talk to and she said no, I’m the owner. She still charged me for an hour labor plus parts. It came to about $134.00 or so. I paid her and then I left.

Well excuse me but if something was supposed to be ready is it my fault that it wasn’t fixed correctly in the first place? I don’t think so! The more I think about how they did me on that one incident the less likely I will buy from them the next time I’m looking for a camper. This was where I purchased the Monty from to begin with. I had taken it back to them under their warrantee and they treated me very well. I’m just totally surprised with the way this last trip turned out.

Dealers seem to forget that were mobile and can easily keep on rolling down the road to someone who will great us with a smile and open friendliness.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:36 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Greener... Call customer service and ask for team Momtana.Talk to a real person.E mails seem to get lost in cyber space. You may have better luck calling the vendor direct as the unit is under their warranty. There had to be a miss communication..Keystone can not deny warranty within the 1 year period.... Pull the manual for the home theater system. It has got to have at least a 1 year warranty. If they will ship directly to you it will save much time..
Old 06-26-2008, 07:37 AM   #15
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Greener... Call customer service and ask for team Momtana.Talk to a real person.E mails seem to get lost in cyber space. You may have better luck calling the vendor direct as the unit is under their warranty. There had to be a miss communication..Keystone can not deny warranty within the 1 year period.... Pull the manual for the home theater system. It has got to have at least a 1 year warranty. If they will ship directly to you it will save much time..
Yes that`s my next step. LG electronics has a swap program which we may end up using but it will tick me off if Keystone doesn`t come through since we have had no warranty claims and spent big bucks on this unit. Customer service will certainly count strongly for new sales since the economy is tight. Keystone hasn`t denied warranty,just our nearest dealer.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Keystone hasn`t denied warranty,just our nearest dealer." This is why you need to talk to Keystone customer service. I have never head of keystone denying warranty service. I mean Keystone got me warranty service in the middle of the desert in Quartzsite, Az.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just a small heads up on this, I believe that Keystone maybe going into a 2 week mandatory vacation/shutdown.

(Wonder where they got that fine idea?? Hmmmm, the auto companies have been doing this for YEARS!! Try going on vacation with all the auto workers looking for reservations at the same time. SIGHHH)

Anyway, repair facility we talked to today, NOTHING to do with Keystone, went out on shut down till July 8th, as of a couple of hours ago.

Keystone may not have anyone to answer the phones for a few weeks????
Old 06-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
They are shut down till the 8th, my dealers service rep called today and told me that and that our new counter would be at least two weeks in shipping. It was ordered before the shut down but is still at the manufacturer and must go to the Keystone before it ships here.. Bummer... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote