Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Winter Travels

Hello Fellow MOC'ERs My wife and I have plans to leave the Oregon Coast, 3/17/08. We will travel down Hwy 20 to Corvalis then I-5. My concern is, I have not traveled over passes in the winter. I looked on Tripcheck and it may snow Sunday Eve and Monday Morning, the first pass is Mont Sexton below Canyonville Or. Then we stay in Grants Pass for Three days and then head over the Sisskyou pass, this one is much higher in elavation. My question is I don't have chains for the TV and what is the changes i will need them. Do most of you carry them or is it a waste of money and time? I would like some imput Thanks. Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
You really should not have any problems this late in the season. As long as you wait until after 9am if it is snowing/raining, the truckers and caltrans should have Siskiyou pass pretty clear. Safe travels. Where are you headed?
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I have chains for not only my 4x4 truck but also the Monty. Have never had to use them but better safe than sorry. In California the CHP gets picky from time to time.

This last fall we were in Yellowstone and the road was closed even though there was less than a foot of snow.

If you buy a set of chains from Les Schwab and don't use them you can return them for a complete refund. There is some deadline but I don't remember what it is.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dandt

You really should not have any problems this late in the season. As long as you wait until after 9am if it is snowing/raining, the truckers and caltrans should have Siskiyou pass pretty clear. Safe travels. Where are you headed?
We have taken spring/summer jobs at Ruby's Inn Bryce Canyon, Utah.We will try and be there 2nd week off April.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Randye, by now you are on the road. Unless you are unlucky to be on the pass during a snowstorm, the interstates should be cleared within a few hours of the end of the storm.

I towed our Montana 25 miles on snow on Interstate 40 in Oklahoma back in early 2003. It was not snowing at the time but the roads had not been cleared. There were two tire tracks on one lane and, of course, we didn't track on those very well. I will never again tow on snow. That's the most white knuckled towing I've ever had. I'll not tow on ice, either. I'll just sit it out next time and go out periodically with just the truck to see when the roads suit me for towing.

I hope you enjoy the Bryce Canyon area. That's a beautiful and enjoyable area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
For all that replied to my concerns many thanks. We went over the Sisskyou mountains without a trace of snow on the roads Thursday 3/20/08. We stayed the night at Auburn Ca. We went over Donner Pass, also without any snow on the roads,clear blue skys. We stayed the night a the Grand Sierra Resort,in Nevada 3/21/08, I have a sister there I hadn't visited in two years, the park used to be a koa and was bought out by the Resort. It was clean, only problem was the WiFi was out at the time. We left About 8:30 a.m. Took Hwy 50 it took 6 and 1/2 hours to reach Ely Nevada. We are staying at the KOA rates are &28.97 Full Hookups and WiFi. Dirt road by good size sites and Friendly people. We leave early a.m. For Utah, we have 303 miles to go to reach Ruby's Inn at the Bryce Canyon Resort and start Work there 4/1/08. We have have a wonderful trip and no problems, the montana has been a pleasure to tow. Thanks again to all. Randye
Old 03-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Might be a little cool up at Bryce this time of the year.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Randye, that stretch of US 50 is known as "the loneliest road." But I found it a real pleasure to tow on that road. When we went across there a few years ago it was good road and nearly no traffic. We stopped to look at the ruins of a pony express station. We'd not seen a single vehicle in over an hour. But when I went to pull out and make a left onto the highway I had to wait for a vehicle in both directions. Sounds like you're enjoying your trip. Have a good time. Bryce may be a bit cool but layer clothing and enjoy the beauty of the park.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote