Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Yellowstone

I am thinking about a trip to Yellowstone next year. I want to see the boiling springs area. Any Suggestions on where to park, hidden treasures of the park or things I need to know?
Thanks
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We are going to be there mid-August. As I understand it the only place in the Park with sites large enough for a Monty is Fishing Bridge. You need to contact the reservation folks early to get a site. Good Luck, John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:38 PM   #3
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We stayed at the Lionshead RV Resort, which is 7 miles west of the W. Yellowstone entrance to the Park. It is a Passport America park. We got full hookups plus WiFi for $17.50 per night.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 AM   #4
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Make reservations early. The spots fill up fast in yellowstone. Yes, Fishing Bridge is the only place thats big enough for the Monty inside the park. West Yellowstone has some nice places, Grizzly park is one of them. Closer to Livingston on HWY89 there is a nice spot along side the river called approp "river's edge RV park"; this is about 30 minutes from the Northern Mammoth entrance. Pahaska Teepee is on the eastern entrance of the park closer to Cody.
I believe it is better to park outside the park and then make day trips inside the park.
Steve works in Mammoth; he's there right now. Our home is in Livingston; but I am in CA rigt now. If you want more info or phone numbers, PM me...
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I agree with Steve, we were there last year and stayed at the Fishing Bridge, sites there are just barely large enough for the Monty. We will stay outside the park next time.

Bill
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:56 AM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
As mentioned, Grizzly RV Resort is just outside the gate at West Yellowstone, MT. and is a great place. We stayed at Fishing Bridge one time, and it was like a parking lot. Crowded and VERY close quarters. In fact, our neighbor had to come over and ask us to retract our slide so he could unhook his water and electric lines!

Yellowstone is beautiful, and HUGE, so allow plenty of time to see it all. Also, if you go during the tourist season, be prepared for some traffic. Just be patient and enjoy the scenery.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We were there in June. Stayed at Grizzly. Very nice park and people. Be sure to go to the Grizzly Reserve in West Yellowstone. Bears and wolves, could have stayed longer. In June roads on the North Loop were still under repair from the winter. Later in the summer would be better I think. West Yellowstone makes it very convenient to tour the park each day. You cannot do it in one day so plan on several. Enjoy!
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We stayed a month at Red Rock CG at Island Park, ID, a few miles farther out than West Yellowstone. While we enjoyed the seclusion (and the wifi) at Red Rock, with fuel prices as they are I'd either be in Fishing Bridge or West Yellowstone (including the locale of Lion's Head) next time.

As noted, this is a huge, huge park. A hundred mile sightseeing day is not that unusual, never leaving the park.

Are you saying you want to see the geysers or Mammoth Hot Springs? The Hot Springs are worth seeing but we were somewhat disappointed in them. The geysers are awesome. See the ranger station for a schedule of eruptions. There are several far more spectacular than Old Faithful.

Our favorite part of the park is one that is often overlooked by tourists. The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone area. Be sure to see the canyon and both upper and lower waterfalls.

If you have time, take the drive out the NE gate along the Beartooth Highway. Charles Kuralt called it the most beautiful drive in America. It is beautiful but I wouldn't call it the most beautiful. Still a gorgeous drive. Also, I hear the drive to Cody, WY, is beautiful although we didn't get to do that drive.

Drive south out of Yellowstone into Grand Tetons National Park. In a daytrip you can see most things. The Tetons are magnificent. And the lake... wow. Here's a picture Vicki took in 2005.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
West Yellowstone is a good "Base" to work out of. There are several RV parks but you will need to make reservations during the peak season. Even then you'll be able to find a day here and there. Grizzly park in West Yellowstone is very nice but also very expensive. But if you are really going to explore and see the park you must plan on spending many days there. Like Steve Reigle has said.... it is a huge park. You spend a lot of time just driving to get from place to place. Make sure you allow for that. Also the park is located very high in the mountains. Plan on it raining, snowing, hailing and just about any other weather condition you can think of. We have had all of the above happen to us while visiting in June and July.

Yellowstone is a beautiful and unique Park. It is something you must NOT miss. Have fun.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:24 AM   #10
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
We were at Yellowstone this past summer and it was fabulous! We actually stayed in Idaho, so we were not close to Yellowstone, but we liked it so much we made two trips there! We took one trip and drove up thru Montana and went in the West entrance. We are planning another trip back in a couple years and we plan on staying in West Yellowstone at Grizzy RV park. We liked West Yellowstone a lot and Grizzly appeared to be a very, very nice park. Although, I know there are several places inside the park to stay, the biggest problem is size of your camper. Also, we wanted full hookups and there are not a lot of places which offer this. There were 5 of us staying for a week, so full hook ups were important to us. We can't wait to go back...this time we'll probably take time to fish and do some more hiking. Enjoy your trip
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also like full hookups, especially since we spent a month there. Redrock RV Park is farther out and is in Idaho but also was less expensive and had free wifi. But because of fuel prices I would stay in or near West Yellowstone next time.

As HamRad said, you can get all kinds of weather. We were in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone area three or four times. That's close to the highest tourist area in the park. Once we got snow and once we got really heavy sleet, which continued until we were in lower elevations of the park. This was in late August and early September, 2005. We learned to layer the clothes and carry jackets in the truck as the weather varies considerably throughout the park.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #12
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Ponderosa Campground in Cody is a nice park, we stayed there last September while visiting Yellowstone.
There are parks that are closer to Yellowstone but most are smaller - passed them going to Yellowstone.

Hope you have a great trip - Yellowstone is very cool.

Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote