Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
External Refer Fan

I thought I had posted this question, yet I am unable to find it. So here it is. In this extremely hot weather, I am considering installing a cooling fan behind the refer unit to help exhaust the hot air so it will be more efficient. Is it better to install the fan at the vent exit to exhaust the air or an the bottom of the unit to blow across the coils and up through the vent? Secondarily, if I wire it into the DC wiring already present, will I overdraw the circuit? I called and tried to ask this question of Keystone, however, they could not tell me if there was anything other than the refer on that particular circuit. I have a '03 3575RL. Thanks for the help.

Mike

F350 7.3L LB
2003 3575RL

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
While I haven't installed a cooling fan for the refer., have installed one for our freezer (which is in the W/D closet) and have replaced the "boom-boom" room fan. Used a 120mm computer muffin fan in the stool room and it is basically on all the time since it draws little DC and is fairly quiet. Put a 80mm muffin fan in the vent to draw warm air away from the freezer. Both have an on/off switch. Think that you would want to install the fan to draw the air up the vent--it will natually draw air across the coils. I used cable ties to install the fans. They are inexpensive, reliable and light weight.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I installed one in ours a month or two ago. You want the air to blow up on the coils, from bottom to top. I just wish I'd used a larger fan. I used a computer case fan but a smaller one. They have larger ones that would be better. I also just bought a switch so I can choose when it runs. The switch is mounted on the floor of the outside fridge compartment, as is the fan. Use washers to give the fan a little free space under the fan's case. It needs to pull air from underneath. Next time I'm going to see if I can find a more convenient location for the switch or at least put it where I can reach it without removing the outside cover.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote