Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
added dryer vent myself

hello all, just got done over the weekend installing a washer and dryer in the monty. all went well including adding the dryer vent. i will say though, it is very hard to drill a 4 inch hole through the trailer wall, not so much hard physically but just the thought of drilling a nice big hole in the trailer wall. it went smooth, was a lot easier to do than i expected. overall the vent took about an hour. this is on a 3400 so the vent is about 1 foot above the door and does not get in the way. if anyone needs input on the actual method to put a 4 inch hole in the side of a trailer let me know. will gladly share my experiences.

pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Please tell all. We still have ours vented to the basement and just open the basement door but we have all the stuff to vent to outside. Still hesitant about drilling that hole.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
the dryer i found comes vented through the top, so i just utilized that to go with the vent. took the vent and measured about one inch down from the ceiling inside, approx. 7 inches from the back wall, which put me at the center point of my vent on the dryer. from there measured a 4 inch hole on the wall, get to the center point of the measurement and drilled a hole from the inside out, that was probably the hardest thing to do, once you do that you have to finish. went to the outside, measured from the pilot hole to make a 4 inch circle around it. then i started drilling small holes around the perimeter of the circle i had layed out. once around and moved up a bit size and circled again. until the piece came out. then just had to touch up the hole a little to make sure it a nice fit for the vent. all in all it took about an hour to install. i was very nervous as i spent quite a bit of money on the trailer to be drilling holes in the outer wall. i believe if you had a hole saw it would probably be an easier job, but i went that way and everything worked great.
pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
pep1977,
Glad to hear your install went well. I still think I will have my dealership do the install on the washer and dryer. I cant bring myself to drilling a hole into the side of my rv. The thought just makes me ill. Are you still down in the Yakima, Wa area? Hope you have not floated away with all this darn rain we have been getting.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Pep, Good Job. I got my washer dryer unit installed by my Dealer before I picked it up so I did not have to drill the hole myself. My big concern of course was making sure I would miss the aluminum studs in the wall. I now know how to find where the studs are. With our damp west coast climate, most mornings you can see the aluminum framing by the condensation on the walls so if I ever have to drill a hole in my Monty, I will know where the studs are.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote