Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Two oddball sightings today

First odd ball sighting, first time we have ever seen this one:

Motorhome, hauling a suburban, hauling a 10 to 12 foot enclosed untility trailer. Yep, a threesome! And, he was driving about 70 MPH too! He was HAULING!! in more ways than one!

Next:

Seahawk, 5er, triple axle, with receiver hitch on the rear of the Seahawk, which was used to tote a wheel chair(on a rack type thing). He had the chair stabilized with several rachet type webbed tie downs. He had attached the tie downs to the unit's ladder. Al said that the ladder was destroyed, it was broken where the ladder attaches to the unit and where the rungs were attached as well. When the unit arrived in the campground, going about 5 MPH and on a gravel road (reasonably smooth), the wheel chair was bouncing about 4 to 6 inches up and down. If you see a wheel chair on the side of the road around Fredericksburg Texas, you will know why.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
When I saw the topic I thought you were talking about Chuck and I. We bought two electric scooters and we were practicing in a parking lot. Chuck wiped out. I stayed upright.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
If you stay on the road long enough you will see just about anything you can imagine. Sure glad I was not around that motorhome with two more trailers in tow. Just amazing!!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Pretty scary stuff out on those highways. You just never know what concoction you will encounter. too bad you didnt have your camera handy. Would be worth a picture or two.
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:44 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dchafer, Camera was handy, sorta, in the cabin of the truck, but in a case, but this guy blew by us so fast (the motorhome) that you could not have taken a photo if you had had the camera in HAND!

Carol: FUNNY!! Hope Chuck did not hurt himself!

That motorhome, he cannot be legal, can he?? I know in most states you can tow 2 "things" behind your truck, IF one is a 5er. Never heard of or seen a motorhome like that tho!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Towing double is NOT legal in Texas but usually is not enforced, What you usually see is a P/U with a 5er and a small boat trailered behind. There's usally a boat involved somewhere and it's just a matter of economics/physics. How do I get all my toys to the lake at the same time in just 1 trip ?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:16 AM   #7
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
No, he didn't get hurt. He was saying I would fall . We had to come home and get the mud off him and the scooter. His pride suffered a bit

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
VanMan, I think most states have reciprocal agreements that they allow what is legal in the state of registration. I learned this when I used to tow a boat behind a fifthwheel. I also heard most patrol officers do not know this and have to be convinced to check on it, which some obviously will not do. I never ventured out of state so never tested this.

Carol and Chuck, I'm glad Chuck was not hurt but having met you folks at the 2004 rally I'm getting a good chuckle out of picturing this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:54 AM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
That situation does not seem like a very safe idea, and driving 70 mph.That whole situation can only be summed up as D-U-M-B.

Hearing this; We were on our way south out of Shipshewana, In. a couple of years back after visiting the Trailer Factories, when we obsered the following: heading north on the berm of the road was a young Amish man in his horse and buggy towing a small boat with an outboard motor on a trailer. Now, I would never put a man down in his religious beleifs, and I grew up in this part of the country and have worked around the Amish, but it really struck me funny at the sight. If this offends anyone, I truly apologize.
The only thing I can say, This man must be a dedicated fisherman and I admire him for it. I hope he had an enjoyable day.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We've seen boats, trailers, etc. being towed behind 5th wheels. I am always amazed at the things people do.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #11
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
deerrahn

We've been to Shipshewana several times also and have seen this scene also. It's really an unusual and funny sight. Who knows maybe it was the same guy. No offense meant either.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
Just today, we saw a 45 ft. class A motorhome pulling a Suburban which was pulling an 18 ft. flatbed trailer with two large four wheelers. Bruce wished he had had the camera. They made it out the Walmart parking lot and headed south down US 81 toward Fort Worth. I hope they miss rush hour!
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote