Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Heating System Filter?

Has anyone installed a filter in the heating system air return? It seems odd that there isn’t one there.

Ed

Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ed
I remember reading that there should not be a filter as these furnaces weren't designed for them.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My owners manual stated the same as Sue had mentioned. Do not use one...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:23 AM   #4
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I think this has beed talked about before, I spoke with my friend that is a Heat/Air Tec (retired) he told me that seems stupid to not have a filter the company wants it to brake, you can either put a filter on or open it and clean more often,the book dosent tell you to clean it out either.Mine got overheated from the dust and not being cleaned in 11 months and burned up the computer card.(the repairman told me) He told me to just don't restrict the flow of air, put a loose weave filter on, I bought a cut to fit one and some spacers to raise the grill 1" and slide the filter in wash it every month and 4 months now no trouble. I also looked in the book and on the heater company web site and they tell you not to restrict the air flow in any way with vent register covers that close on filters. So if you use them and are on warranty take them off prior to calling the repairman.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
I also have a cut-to-fit filter in ours, the one we got is from Wal-Mart cut to fit 20x30x1 Naturalaire. I can get two out of it, has been working well, just what I have done. Larry & LaVonne
Old 02-06-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The furnace in our terry TT did not have a filter and after about two years the furnace overheated and shut down due to dust and dirt.Took awhile to clean it up and another camper friend made me up a filter and installed it.Checked it about every two months or so and never had a furnace problem for the rest of the life of the camper..Note that the A/C had a filter and that one got fairly dirty on a regular basis. Also used that foam filter on the floor vents ( allergies) and never had a problem.Plan to do the same thing with the 3400 Unless somone can explain WHY a filter is not needed...Humm..A good question for the Keystone rep at the RV show..will write it down..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I agree that the furnace really needs a filter, but then I am a HVAC guy. In our Montana the return air is a cavity under the sink area. The furnace is located there also and it has a relief cut on three sides of it. So if you really wanted to filter the return air you would have to attach filters to the three sides in order to protect the furnace. If you just put it at the grille you would not protect it because it pulls in outside air from other areas. Hope this makes sense to you. I was looking at a 3400 the other day and it is no different regarding pulling air from a cavity, just not under the sink. I think the reason that the manufacture suggest that you do not use a filter is that if you did it properly you would have to get access to the furnace in order to clean it and that is very difficult for most people.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dhenry..what you are saying makes sense.My guess is that the reason the manufacturer does not put a filter in is that it would be a added expense and difficult to do.When we get our 3400 and see how it is set up we will get back to you on advise on how to install a effective filter.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
You are right DHENRY, mine is under the stove and pulls air from the entire cavity, what I did is close off the opening on the side so it will only pull air from the grill opening and not from the rest of the cabnet area.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:36 AM   #10
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
On the 3400RL, I believe most of the air is pulled in thru the slotted piece of wood attached to the front of the bottom step.
That is were the majority of the air come from.
I believe that you could attach a filter to the piece of wood.
But if you cause too much of a restriction then I might pull more air from the basement area.
Just my thoughts!
So I guess if you smell something funny, you should check and see what you may have rotting in the basement area.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:42 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My 06 2955RL has the furnace in the basement behind a panel on the entrance side. This compartement runs the width of the basement and behind a panel on the opposite side is the hotwater tank. This compartement is completely sealed except for the wooden grill under the stairs where the furnace is drawing its air. It would be simple to attach a filter to the inside of this wooden grill so I will probably do this.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:19 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My furnace is under the island counter along with my hot water heater. If memory is right, I have one grill on the side of the island where the furnace draws it air. I might be able to add a filter on that grill, will be adding this to the list of things to check this spring.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #13
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Installed the filter on the furnace this week. It turned out to be a simple 1 hour job on my 05 2955RL. I opened the return air grid then removed the 1x1 board at the bottom of the return opening and installed a 16x20 inch filter. The opening is an exact fit of the filter. The piece of wood was put back in behind the new filter to hold it in place. Replace the grid and your done.

Also search Heater Filters
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:50 AM   #14
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Good news from Suburan, I had my computer card go out 2 months out of warranty and cost me $300 for a repairman to fix so I sent a email to Suburan and told them the repairman told me that it shouldnt have went out he thought it was defective, they told me to mail it to them to test, so I did, got a letter from them today and a check for $95. they said that they cant tell if it was defective or not so they would pay for the card but were unable to pay for the labor, well a little is better than nothing.