Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Glacier National park to Boise , Id.

I am in the process of planning a trip that will take me up through Glacier nat. park in 2017. After Glacier we want to travel to Couer d'Alene Id.,to Mc Call Id., Mountain Home ID., then south. My question is there anyone who has taken this route which I think will be Rt 95 south once we get into Idaho then continue on 95 as we make our planned stops along the way.Once leaving McCall, is 95 a better route to stay on or would 55 south be the better choice.
At some point both roads connect to US-84. I know there are steep grades on both roads and I have the Mountain West directory for steep grades.I have used it in the past and it's usually good advice.
Any suggestions to traveling these roads next July-August would be very helpful in my decision making. I will be towing a jeep behind my 5er, so again not sure if one route would be better over the other.Living in Utah I have driven 6-7% grades in the past, so I know what I'm in for.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who may answer. Always good advice from everyone on The MOC forum!

Keith

09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I took 55 from McCall south as far as Banks and then went East toward Sun Valley. That stretch didn't seem to be a bad drive. Of course I like mountain driving so I pretty much like all roads unless they get too narrow with no side rails! :-)
While you are in the area, you might want to sidetrack to Hells Canyon Nat. Monument. Can take a large raft trip down the river which was fun. Several campsites along the river run by the power company since they run the dams. However the campsites are rather small - I just squeezed in to one of the larger ones and my trailer was only 34 feet.
Oh, I see you have a 2955 which is pretty much like my old 2980, so you can fit if you get the right sites.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I have taken this route many times with the Montana, you have three grades of any concern. Once you leave Coeur D Alene you will hit the Lewiston Grade which is just north of Lewiston, Idaho. From there you go across the flat plain region above Grangeville. Once you leave Grangeville heading south you hit Whitebird hill. This is a steep section but is in good condition and almost all of it is two lane each direction. You then travel along the Salmon River and get to enjoy a beautiful area of the state down to McCall, Idaho. Then you follow the Payette River down to Horseshoe Bend. This section is crooked and somewhat narrow but still a good road. Worse section is rainbow bridge above Smiths Ferry where it looks tighter than it really is. It will make you pucker but is not that difficult in reality. At Hoseshoe Bend you he'd up the hill which is a long pull or you can take the left hand corner at the flashing light on the north end of town and head to Emmett. This is a much easier route if you are having difficulty pulling the grades. Either the Horseshoe Bend hill or Emmitt route have good roads and no significant difficulty. The pull up the hill is long but two lanes each direction so going slow is not a significant issue I just get in line with all the people pulling trailers or driving trucks. The down hill side also is steep as you drop down into the Boise Valley. But again should pose no significant problem. I pull a 40' Montana but don't pull anything behind it. As long as you have a strong pull vehicle you should not have any problems.
If you go to Hells Canyon the campgrounds are as earlier described, just don't go there if it is very hot. Camped there last summer with our son and left after two days of baking!! Early spring or late fall it is a great location. We have rafted Hells Canyon a lot with private groups but never with a guide but there are several that you can look into in the area. Another option is a jet boat ride with several LARGE Rapids just below the dam that are impressive in either a raft or boat.
We live in the Boise area so PM me if you have any additional questions that I can help
Enjoy your trip
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Hey Guys, Thanks for ALL the good info on taking this route. I always like to know what I'm getting into. I have pulled some fairly steep grades along I-70 and south into Arizona with Jeep in tow.Not an issue as my F-350, with the 6.7 pulls everything just fine.Knowing WHEN to pucker is a good thing!
Doug, Any other questions I have, will send you a PM. We were up your way this past July. Hot but the whole west was hot this year.We visited Silver City and one of our favorite wineries. Can't wait to get back!

Again Thanks to all, Keith
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
Old 12-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
The road to the sun is going to be a son of a gun with that triple lash-up, but you should be fine if you honk 3 times on the switchbacks..LOL

Mark
Old 12-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Mark, Thanks but I will not even attempt that drive with trailer. We will be staying on the west side of glacier, and then travel around from there.

Keith
Old 12-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Keith Schweizer

Mark, Thanks but I will not even attempt that drive with trailer. We will be staying on the west side of glacier, and then travel around from there.

Keith
I was kidding.. We stayed in Columbia Falls for 4 days while we toured the park. It was nice and close to the park and still in town if we wanted to go to the store. We drove to Whitefish for one day, a cool little place.

Mark