Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Cargo Shifting in Basement Storage

We've gotten our new rig and are in the process of setting it up. It occured to us that cargo in the basement storage could shift and wind up against the access doors. Has anyone used any kind of netting or anything else to prevent this? On the driver's side of the rig it would also prevent stuff from falling on the tank drain pulls. I was thinking of something like what is often use to replace p/u truck tailgates. Any thoughts?

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Fastened a piece of 1 1/2" aluminum to the upper edge of the step

It is about a half inch above the floor and keeps anything from sliding into the door or falling onto the valve handles.

Of course the blue cooler at the top of the photo is not normally there while traveling

Another note...The photo shows a plastic file box. This box fits in that area like it was made for it. I use the box to store my assortment of sewer hose fittings and rubber gloves. I also have an identical box in the right side compartment where we carry the laundry detergent, bleach and softener sheets.
Also note the pegboard aside of the file box. On this hangs all the freshwater fittings, nozzle, etc.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Ya know, it's never been a problem. We just load up and go....
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Glenn, Great idea, like Guffy I never had a problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:09 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Actually neither did I but I figured it couldn't hurt.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Glenn, I too have never had a problem with cargo sliding around, but I was amazed at how much we can learn from fulltimers. On the other side I mounted my grill utinsils, spatula, fork. But the peg board is neat and handy. There was a lot of good ideas shown at the rally and we see more of them now too! Keep up the good work.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:43 AM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Glen and Lorriane

The file box is good.What else fits their perfectly too is the plastic litter tubs that cats litter comes in.scoop away or fresh step.These fit like a glove also.I probably have about 10 I keep in that area along the storage door.I labeled them so I know whats in each one.

When I open my storage doors people must think i`am a litter salesman.lol
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:39 PM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I bought several inexpensive tool boxes from Home Depot and placed them in that gutter area. They are also slightly higher than the main floor similar to the file boxes mentioned in Glenn's Post. I sized the boxes to fit the area -- three on the starboard side and two (different size) to port. I then made a simple wooden box to fit under the drain handles and keep the boxes seperated and away from the drain handles on the port side. I had to notch the inside edge of the box to accomodate the handles.

The neat part of this system is it helped us organize our excursions. I labled the tool boxes and use them as follows. 1)- outdoor cooking supplies, 2)- awning lights and extensions, 3) tiedowns and bungees, 4)- craft supplies, 5)- Maintenance supplies.

The box under the drain pulls is a convenient place for miscellaneous junk needed for hook ups like cable adapters and water regulators. In addition, I keep a regular tool box - for tools, of course- in the front compartment where I can get to it even when we have the fiver backed in to its narrow stroage lot parking spot.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've never had a problem with things moving around in the basement, either, but I figured that's because ours is so full there's nowhere for any of it to go. Never had any of it land in the tank handle well. We use plastic crates and laundry baskets along with a few Totes. Some things are loose but never seem to go anywhere. For us it's a non-issue. There was a thread awhile back where a couple of members had some problems with things moving around.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:59 AM   #10
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Here is my solution. I found two of these "Truck Cargo Bars" on Ebay for $9.95 for two. They are adjustable, and fit nicely in the compartment. The rubber feet grip quite well, and the bar can be tightened down against the sides. I recently completed a 750 mile trip with these, and the cargo (and bars) stayed put!

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:15 AM   #11
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
If I didn't know better, I'd say that was a photo of our basement, right down to the box for the Slunky on the right. That looks like a great idea.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
After reading this thread, I went to Harbour Freight in Ocala and got two of the Cargo Bars (9.95 each). I installed them in the storage compartment and I do believe that they will work just fine. Thanks for the idea mazeeff !!!
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:36 PM   #13
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
You can also use some non-slip matting. It is especislly useful if the basement flooring is tile instead of carpet.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote