Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
Best GPS for RV

I am ready to pick up a new GPS for RV use. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
There are several posts with GPS in the title, but the most recent is almost two years old. I remember some more recent. Maybe some other members can point you in a direction.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have been happy with Garmin.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We are very happy with the Rand McNally RV GPS.... You can input your height and weight in first and the Rand will watch for the clearance's for you.. So far, all upgrades have been free.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have a Garmin wide-screen Nuvi, we love it and enjoy it's ease of operation. Garmin has a great reputation. I loved it so much, I bought a hand-held Garmin Oregon.
I had some questions on its operation, so I just called support.
No, it wasn't in Bangledish... it was in Lenexa Kansas, the two times I called, I got professional, friendly help from 2 young men there. "Is there any thing else I can help you with?" Was his comment. Great service.
Mault, a Geo-caching friend of mine dropped his hand-held GPS off of a rocky mountain-side in Arizona, he sent it in for repairs, it came back in a timely manner with a new case, new screen, polished and just like new, the cost was minimal.
I was at a Geocaching event in Parkville Mo., just outside of K.C., there was a Garmin Engineer there, a young smart guy. I grilled him about both of my GPS units, he was very helpful, no surprise for me.
Other units may be great, I will never know, Garmin will always be my choice.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Everyone will probably have a favorite. That is OK with me. My only recommendation is to have the same Brand for your handlheld GPS (if you have one) and your travel software GPS--makes interfaces a snap! I use DeLorme--like it and have great tech support as needed. The good brands have good tech support -- that is one reason they are successful.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have had two Garmins and both have worked well. Gave the older one to my daughter when I bought a newer one with more features. And I have also had experience with another older Garmin, Streets & Trips on a laptop, and the factory GPS on the wife's Expedition. And at one time or the other, they have all tried to take routes that I knew in advance was not the best way to go.
NO MATTER THE BRAND, DO NOT TRUST IT EXCLUSIVELY.
On one Garmin, we programmed it to go to the Great Sand Dunes even though we had been there several times before and knew the way. But the GPS tried to get us to turn off on the unpaved road that goes the back way, over the mountains, on a 4x4 road to get there! Never would have made it that way.
Another trip using my son's laptop and Streets & Trips, it led us past the turn I was expecting to make. But I followed anyway. Came to a low water crossing that was nothing but a rocky creek bottom. The road I wanted was just 50 yards on the other side, but no way to get there without 4x4. Had to back up and wind around some small streets to get back to the correct turn.
Even the newer Garmin I have in my truck now, I often set it to take me to my hunting cabin even though I have been driving that route for 40+ years. And it tries to take me on roads that I know are not the best or fastest.
In each case, they have all been set for fastest route.
If I am going to an unfamiliar area, I always check the route on google maps and/or mapquest. And even print out the map if I think I may have a question about it later.
They are pretty good at narrowing down the final destination once you get close, but not necessarily great at the best route to get there.
I use mine primarily for the miles to next turn feature and time to destination feature. Also the one I have now displays the speed limit for the highway I am on (if it knows it) and the lane guidance feature is nice also. And since it sets on the dash just below eye level, I tend to watch my speed on it rather than my speedometer.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
I have two Garmin and like both of them. My newest is the DEZL 560LMT. It has a "truck mode" and "RV mode." you set the dimensions of the rig and it provides warnings. it seem to be good but i have only used it for one 3000 miles trip. still learning it.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I must be the only one not hapy with the Garmin brand. We have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT and it is wrong at least 90% of the time, no exaggerating! Gas stations that don't exist, turning left when you should turn right, several blocks past where the location should be. Not happy with their product at all. And yes I have updated with their option.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I think some are easier to use than others, but most lack in true updates even if you get a newer model out. I'm still waiting for the up date on the 241 freeway and a RV park to be showing.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

I must be the only one not hapy with the Garmin brand. We have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT and it is wrong at least 90% of the time, no exaggerating! Gas stations that don't exist, turning left when you should turn right, several blocks past where the location should be. Not happy with their product at all. And yes I have updated with their option.
Contact these guys right now, if you can:
http://tinyurl.com/garminhelp

If you have problems, I will call them tomorrow.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Garmin is great, we've had two and one of our former employees works for them, but we had to try the Rand McNally and now that I've used it some I don't see us going back to Garmin.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I have the Rand McNally RVND 7710. It's my first GPS so nothing to compare too, but I really like it and it is a 7" screen which even my bad old eyes can see.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #14
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
We have the Garmin DEZL 560LMT and have logged over 15K miles on it. Great product, lots of features, and it comes with lifetime updates. Garmin has been in the business for for a long time and their support has been excellent.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #15
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Had the Rand McNally for a year now and like.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote