Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Roof sewer vent cap

My sewer vent cap blew off on the highway yesterday. It's going to rain this afternoon, will I have a leak in my roof? I won't be able to get up there today...what do you think?
Thanks in advance!

Roy

Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
The rain will just go down the pipe into the tank.If the collar is still around the pipe you should not leak.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Thanks, Wayne............
Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess if it rains real hard, you'll need to check the tank level, but with that small of an opening it shouldn't fill up too fast.

As for the pipe as it extrudes from the roof and it is typically sealed very well with the right roof goop and the roofline should be just fine. Like Wayne mentions, the pipe goes down into whichever tank it is for and that's about it. Anything entering that pipe would go into that tank, if it enters the opening just right including rain, debris, animals, etc.

It's probably a good idea you get a replacement cap as soon as possible. Most of these are held on by friction just in case they get caught by something they can get ripped clean off. If they are screwed in place and then something hits them like a low hanging tree branch more damage may occur. I would prefer the screw on, but it's something to think about.

Enjoy the rain. Some of us wish we could have some to cool things down!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Thanks, Art...maybe see you down the road......

Roy
Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Roy, You probably already know this but be sure it is the sewer vent cap and not the attic vent cap. Some call it the "mushroom vent". If it is the attic vent it will in fact leak water into the insulation and on to the top of your ceiling panels. I lost a mushroom vent cover and had to cover it with duct tape until I could get a new one. Jim
Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've heard of an RV attic vent cap several times now but I don't understand how this works. I thought there wasn't much of an attic since my ceiling follows the roof line and I can't imagine there's much of an attic especially since I thought the space is completely filled with insulation anyway?

Would someone please explain how this works? Or where there would be enough space to know? Thanks.

I'm hoping Lampchop did lose a sewer cap because that's what I described because I have seen that. But admittedly, I didn't think of other cap types, like what jimcol describes. Thanks for bringing up that possibility. In the meantime I hope the rain doesn't last too long in case we were talking about the wrong vent pipe.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Art, The aluminum roof joist are about 4"'s in height. As you stated there is insulation in the space between the ceiling and the roof. The mushroom vents just help this area breath and possibly cut down on condensation forming in the attic. I'm not sure how effective they are but on a hot day on the roof you can feel minor air flow comming out of them. Not sure when they started using them but they came on my 06. Jim
Old 08-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #9
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
It's diffidently the sewer cap that came off. It sits near the outside wall. I found at my dealer, they have the replacement caps separate.
Here is a rough picture of it:

It has two spring clips to hold it on. Cost is about $4.50. This way you don't have to unscrew the whole base.

Roy