Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Attic/Mushroom vents - Really needed?

I think my 05 3670 Big Sky had the little Mushroom Vents at the front and back of the roof.
After sideswiping a tree branch and getting a new roof last year (they replaced all the vent covers due to age) and getting up on the new roof to clean it this Spring, I noticed there are no little mushroom vents.
Can anyone confirm they should be there?
Do they really do any good?
Think I could retrofit myself?

Thanks!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Aren't some of these for the vent pipes leading to the tanks? They would help provide venting when emptying the tanks. They would suck in air from the outside as the contents are emptied. Plus they would vent odors to the outside.

Maybe they have been redirected or shortened below the roof line? I wouldn't know what this means or if it's okay.

There might be other vents for other purposes. This post is giving me cause to get up on the roof and identify what each and every opening, covering, object on the roof is for, especially if it's not real obvious.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
The vents at the front and rear of the roof were the attic vents. They were put there to remove heat and moisture from the small attic space.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
And if you leave them off my guess is that you will get water in your attic. They are about six bucks at a Montana dealer
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Chas, The aluminum roof joist are about 4"'s in height. There is insulation in the space between the ceiling and the roof. The mushroom vents just help this area breath and possibly cut down on condensation forming in the attic. I'm not sure how effective they are but on a hot day on the roof you can feel minor air flow comming out of them. Not sure when they started using them but they came on my 06. Jim
Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I had them on my 2001. They sent me two plastic pieces to install under the cover because they were getting water in when you were towing in the rain. My 2008 also has them and the same plastic inserts.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
The waste tank vents are still there, including the fancy CoilnWrap swiveling one I added to the black tank vent.
I'm guessing they left the attic vents off either accidently or deliberately when they put another layer of thin luan plywood on the roof before appling the new rubber. At least the roof is a lot sturdier or firmer now.
I haven't noticed any "operational" issues without the attic vents so far.
Guess I'll have to think about whether to retrofit them...and how...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Further searching this forum and Googling has revealed that these vents deterioate, break, or come off "regularly".
I guess I should ask my Repair Shop if they did me a favor?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639

copied from an old post about Caps.

As DL N K said, the part number Keystone gave me is 102776. The "official" name is Roof Attic Mushroom Cap.

I just found the part number in my files, should be p/n 102776. Parts guy didn't know what I was asking for until we went outside to a new Everest and I pointed them out. He took both off the Everest and sold them to me and ordered new ones for his stock unit. That's customer service, and why I get most of my parts/supplies from them. If that's the ones you're talking about, they screw on. Give 'em a counterclockwise twist and it should spin right off. There's a bolt right in the middle.