Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Something to Think About!!!!

For those of you looking at buying a new TV, I would think twice about getting the in-dash nav system, at least on the GM Products. They are not upgradeable unless you buy a new disc every two years ($200 each) and you cannot upload anything to them. I have had my unit (which the dealer threw in because it was already in the truck I bought), for two years and WE don't care for it much. You cannot use it pick POI's or do much of anything while moving (which is a good safety factor IF the driver was the only one using it), however, my navigator hates not being able to put anything in unless we are stopped, which means I have to pull over anytime she wants to use it. Save your cash and get a good aftermarket Garmin that you can upgrade and use on the fly. We have a Magellan Roadmate 1475 that does more than our indash unit, but we don't use it much. Next year we may make the change and use it as primary.......I can't speak to the other Brands of truck but that is the story about GM's.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Phil and Cathy...Thank you for the advice. When I look at the new Nuvi's and such they all appear to have a screen size similar to my kids Ipod Touch, about 5 inches. These old eyes would never be able to focus on anything that size while driving and actually get any use out of it. I suppose the voice command types might make them much easier to use. Our thinking is to stick with Garmin, buy the maps now that come with POI and waypoint/trip planning software and then look around at different models once we get the TV ready for the road. I'm hopeful that Garmin still makes a big screen unit that would fit in a holder, similar to an in dash unit, that could be placed in a handy holder similar to the Nuvi types.

Cheers,
Robert & Kerri
troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Phil
Have you seen this? It looks like it would solve your problem.

http://www.coastaletech.com/AMAZING_GM_LOCKPICKS.htm
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
What I would like to do is use my Droid or other phone's HDMI out and plug it into a 7" to 11" monitor and use Google Maps with Navigation Apps on the phone. Your maps are never outdated. Verizon tells me that the HDMI on the Droid does not output APPS. Waiting for a phone that does.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Here is a website that is dedicated to making POI's, its centered around the Garmin products more than other GPS brands.

http://www.poi-factory.com/

You have to join, its free, and then you can download any of the custom POI's that the members have made. You have to download the POI installer from Garmin to your PC.

POI installer link:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=999-99999-12

We download info on where we are going before we leave the house, then we can check whats in the area the night before.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
Break down, let Cathy have some money and let her purchase an iPad. If Earlene likes her iPad so much, Cathy will like it also. It will do every thing, and then some, that a GPS can do.

Besides, if Cathy is going to [s]back-seat[/s]err.... advise you on where to go, (You are familiar with that term, right?) she should have her own system.

It's only fair that after Earlene saw Cathy's Kindle, that Cathy should keep up with Earlene and get an iPad.

The price that women pay for their toys is sometimes more than the boy's. (Or is that a boy-toy)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, I don't like the in-dash system on my 2007 Dodge, either. Not even touchscreen. Can't find a POI. And I don't like having to look that far away from the road to see details of an upcoming turn, etc. I continue to use my portable Garmin. I hear the 2008 and later builtin systems in the Dodge are better but mine was a total waste of money.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Ford uses a Sony system and they are not very friendly for ease of use. We have the Nav system in both of our Ford escapes and it seems to be a challange every to you what to enter a new address.
Give me a Garmin anytime; plus easy to update.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
The Nav system in my new Ford is awsome, it is touch screen but you dont need to use it, it is all voice activated. Business locations can located and entered as distinations by entering a phone number by voice if you wish. It will also pull up an active weather radar map, forcasts, gas, diesel prices and locations,sports results, movies playing and where. It also has a 10 gig hard drive where I have uploaded about a 100 cds all searchable by voice and touch screen. It will also play dvds when not moving. The technology is just amazing.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We use a PC based nav system in our truck and it has been great. In our family car we ended up with built in nav which is pretty good but they want $185 to update it. Talk about a rip off.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 AM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pete Hanson

We use a PC based nav system in our truck and it has been great. In our family car we ended up with built in nav which is pretty good but they want $185 to update it. Talk about a rip off.
Pete....what PC based nav system are you using?
Thx
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Only to add my voice to those who have found the "portable" Garmin greatly superior to the "in dash" navigator system. We have had the top of the line navigator in our Lexus automobile for four years and have found it to be greatly inferior to the Garmin we use in our pickup when towing. No need to go into detail, but there are many frustrations with the "in dash" system.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I use a Pioneer AVIC Z1. Love the interface, 7" screen, POIs, how smart it is, but hate that I had to be stopped to find something. I was able to find a powerup override procedure to disable the feature and all was good - turn on and off the headlights during bootup. Sometimes I would forget to flick the lights when I started up the truck, so I installed an inline switch to power down the Pioneer, then switch it back on and flick the lights. Other than I'm sure other drivers were wondering why they saw my lights go on and off, this worked fine for me. I am such a gear head there isn't an interface or the like that I can't get used to - some are better than others, but I will not allow technology to ever get the best of me - I can still teach kids how to use remotes .

But the price for the Pioneer is WAY up there, but that's because it has a bunch of other capabilities that turns it into an entertainment center besides the very good Nav System - DVD player, backup camera support, Bluetooth support, XM or Sirius (one in the same now), 20GB Hard Disk - 10GB for the Nav and 10GB for a music library, AM, FM, TV, and the list goes on.

Epilogue: The system had a problem that if the interior got too hot, it would not boot at startup. I live in So. Cal. so this happened a few times. Pioneer came out with a free firmware upgrade to fix this and one to update the Music Library. After the upgrade, my powerup override NO LONGER worked (they "fixed" that, too). I installed another bypass using wiring but it has not worked and I haven't tried again because taking the dash apart to get to it is a PAIN.

Since I have a handheld Garmin that plugs into a PC, I am working on a laptop solution using Streets and Maps, or TLDCN or whatever Nav software I get and the laptop screen to use for guidance. The laptop's 15" screen, can be use while moving and DW is comfortable with the interface. I have a front bench seat with a seat in the center and the backrest folds flat for driver and passenger to use as a tray and drink holder. The laptop will sit on a removable tray I am building that sits on top of the fold down backrest. I plug the laptop power into an inverter under the center seat so I don't have to worry about the laptop battery. When not going on long trips with lots of stops, I can remove the tray and laptop and use the Pioneer system. Until then, one of these days, I'll get the override working. And that's when I'll use the laptop/Garmin solution when I'm a passenger in someone else's vehicle and they don't have a GPS. (Gotta work on the power, though - can't depend on the battery for long periods). Maybe bring along a plug in inverter (laptop only uses 65W)

In summary, I don't like U.S. or Asian 'vehicle' GPS systems. Mercedes Benz and BMW systems were outstanding but I haven't purchased one recently (2001) and fear they are probably as crappy now as the U.S. and Asian vehicle systems.

Rube Goldberg has nothing on me, but he's been a great teacher.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Ended up buying a copy of MS Streets and Trips mid September. Bit of a learning curve, but not too bad. Will be using it on a road trip soon as we are fling into Orlando, renting a car and driving down to spoil the grandkids for Christmas.

Stopping in Tampa for a quality walkthrough of a 2011 Monty 3400. Also looking at a Carraige, but at this point my thnking is I can buy a boatload of addons with the price difference between the two.

Bought a copy of Michael Weeks "Complete Civil War Road Trip Guide" and entered in tens of dozens of popular and obscure battlefield sites to visit once we get on the road in 2012. Between them and the trout rivers of America I should have a few places to put on the bucket list.

Bought the son-in-law a new Garmin 60CSX and a SE America Topo DVD for Christmas. I'm looking forward to playing with both after he goes back to work (poor lad). We're going to chase snook up in mangroves of 10000 Islands, so thought we should get a bread crumb dropper to find our way back out at the end of the day.

Cheers,

Robert & Kerri
troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
my 2011 chevy ltz dually with in dash navi .great love it . have the garmin 760 t before that.it worked great also. just one bad thing, that is ,that the thieves see the garmin and want to steal it.cant always carry everything in my pockets so the thieves dont get it.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

my 2011 chevy ltz dually with in dash navi .great love it . have the garmin 760 t before that.it worked great also. just one bad thing, that is ,that the thieves see the garmin and want to steal it.cant always carry everything in my pockets so the thieves dont get it.
Did GM ever figure out some folks might like to see Alaska on their in dash units? When we drove to Alaska, the road system stopped at the border. The map was there, just no roads.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote