Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Thank God for Walk Arounds

Last weekend, we set off for our annual dry camping experience at Sand Lake, Oregon. It is a OHV park and we spend three days riding and eating...or is it...anyway, we headed out and as we hit Astoria, OR, I stopped for a potty break and dinner. I was walking Walt, our dog and decided to do a walk around and make sure the bearingi were ok etc. As I rounded the back of the trailer, I noticed something metallic on the inside edge of the back drivers side trailer tire. I got down and with a couple licks from Walt, realized I had something sticking out of my tire. I checked and it was either a rivet or tire stud. I looked close and felt I may have been lucky as it was in the tread, but as soon as I touched it, air came out. I left it alone and was going to change the tire, but we had a long way to go and was not comfortable going without a spare. I hit the button on the GPS and it showed a tire shop less than a mile away. They closed in ten minutes, but agreed to say and get me fixed.

I limped over to the tire store and of course the tread and damage prevented them from repairing the tire. 20 minutes later and $145.00 less, I was back on the road and retrieved the crew to continue our adventure. I was so thankful I found this before we got on the narrow and dangerous roads of US 101. The story would have not been nearly so chipper. Be sure to always walk around your entire rig everytime you stop. You never know what you may prevent!

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Steve glad you found it before it caused major problems. We just bought Hawkshead Tire Pressure Monitoring System it also checks tire heat. It might not of helped in this instance but in most cases it will. I hope the rest of your trip is uneventful except for enjoyment.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Very good policy sfretts. Make the trip a little more relaxing knowing you check things out. I would like to add what i do. I am now in the habit of checking the INSIDE tire wall and all other components under there. This doesn't take long to do. JUST BE VERY CAREFUL NOT to hit your head on the spare tire lowering crankshaft thing . I've hear it really hurt bad.....

swanny
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I think this is great advice. My DW insists that we check the tail lights on the Monty every time we stop for food, potty, fuel or whatever. I usuall try to remember to check the tires and hitch connection to make sure some kids don't play a nasty trick on me. I'm glad you found the tire problem before hitting the road.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Whenever we make a stop and are away from the truck and rig, I always do a walk around, checking the 5th wheel itself in the truck to make sure noone has messed with it and do a walk around of the trailer making sure the tires are alright and nothing has come loose or fallen off. This was good info that I got from the salesman of the first 5th we bought (SOB). Very good advice. Safe travels. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote