Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
How do I fix this? (up-dated)

This bracket for the hand rail has worked itself loose. There is a large gap between the base of the bracket and the wall of the Monty. Has anyone ever made a repair to one like this?

How does this come loose so that it can be repaired?

I’ve looked at this and it doesn’t look very easy to get apart, I’m in hopes that someone has been there / done that / bought the shirt and can tell me how this will come apart.

I’m thinking the 2 rivets on the side of the plastic will pull out like pins and allow the front piece to come off exposing a bolt or two. However, I’m afraid to pull on them incase they aren’t supposed to be removed that way.

Anyone got a clue?
Thanks!

Old 07-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Bill, looks like that cover on the bottom pops off somehow to allow access to the mounting screw that holds it agains the RV.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=422951
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
That’s a good illustration. I bet I need to remove the tiny revits on each side. It appears to hold that cap on.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bill,
I do not think they are rivits but flutted push in pins. Us a pair of cutting plyers to pry away from the black plastic. They should rotate out. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Cheers,

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

That’s a good illustration. I bet I need to remove the tiny revits on each side. It appears to hold that cap on.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
You are probably right, I doubt they are actually rivets but tiny pins as you mentioned. That looks like the way to go. When I get a chance I’ll try that. Got to go back to work tomorrow for the next 4 days so I’m not sure when I’ll get a chance to check it out but I will get back on here and let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You are on the right track. Don't remove the rivets/pins. I believe they are clips that help hold in the bottom cover. You should be able to pry the cover off from the underside using a flat blade screwdriver. They will reveal two screws that hold the bracket against the sides of the rig and typically attach to the wood framing surrounding the door frame. They fastening screws may have worn out from door frame causing the gap.

To fix this you'll have to remove the screws and the handle. If not already there, you can use some kind of molly for the replacement. For example, you might have to drill the hole a little bigger, BUT NOT TOO MUCH. Then hammer in a larger plastic molly since the old hole may have gotten larger with wear. Apply sealant to the bracket face that goes against the siding, then reinstall the screws. Then reinstall the cover.

I hope I explained this okay. I had a prior rig that had a tiny (worthless) handle at the entry door. I removed it and installed a larger swing away handle like the one you show and installed it myself, so I have a little experience with it. Hopefully I remembered everything.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bill, if it were me, I would call Stromberg Carlson Products, Inc and ask for technical support. Then you won't be guessing. They make these handles, both after market and OEM. I know it isn't near as much fun as exploring, but.....................231 947 8600
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
OK, I took a quick look at it today and John is correct; there are pins which are holding the cover in place. There is actually a place for two more pins at the bottom of the cap which may have never been installed at all. I removed the cover and the two screws which were rusted on the threads. No doubt there has been moisture leaking in around the bolts allowing it to rust. I replaced them with slightly larger bolts which seemed to work well. I’m somewhat disappointed though where it appears to only mount directly on the side rather than into an aluminum stud which would be much better. I had to be careful not to over tighten them. Oh, BTW, I sealed the area where I placed the new bolts to prevent any further moisture damage.