Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
How hard is it to replace part of the floor?

Well, I have one of the leaking TT units.. leaking by the exterior vent for the fridge..

Due to the leak, the floor in front of the fridge/sink is soft..

How difficult is it to cut out the vinyl flooring (replacing the wood isn't a construction concern) and redoing the flooring around the cabinets and into the bathroom so it looks decent??

John Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
AS a fairly common occurrence, It is a shame that the manufacturer's are letting this happen. Especially when the fix aftermarket is so inexpensive and non-time consuming.

If everyone would check the screws holding the frame of the outside refrigerator vent(s) (Sometimes you have two) by pulling out the bottom three screws and checking the condition. If you see rust stains, you have a leak. Water should not go into the screw holes.

Here again is a thread that covers this simple fix:

Refrigerator Outside Vent Leak

What is that old saying? An Ounce of prevention.....

Good luck John. Repairing a floor is not an undertaking that I would want to do.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
has anyone put the laminate floor down?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I don't have the same model as you do, but I have redone the vinyl in my 2955 model. My vinyl froze up and busted about a year ago. I just redone the vinyl in the whole camper and put in the white large tile. I gave a friend who use to lay tile and was retired $100. I already had extra box of tile from when I done my stick home. There is chip board under your vinyl for sub flooring. That is the reason it is probably spongeeeeee after being wet. ...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
Hey JB

Did you use self stick vinyl or some sort of ceramic tile? or the roll type vinyl?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I used ceramic 16 inch squares and you have to put down the adhesive prior to tile and let it get tacky. I done all of the dining area that was vinyl and then went in and done the bathroom and shower area also, so that everything matched in color. I made mine WHITE to brighten it up in there. It has been over a year ago and everything is in real good shape. It was about $130.00 a box for the tile. I got the more expensive stuff. Bought it at a flooring shop that sells carpet and tile. Good luck...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote