Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
TODAY Texas Senator Announces Border Alert

Listening to the news on the way to work this morning, I heard a Texas senator cause gasps when he announced that Texas is on "alert" because of increasing drug violence along the Texas-Mexico border in the last week. The anchor people were truly stunned and asked for clarification. The senator said that on Tuesday, Texas announced a formal "alert," meaning that if federal officials and federal law enforcement agencies didn't step in immediately to help control the violence along the border, Texas would utilize its own resources, everyone from game wardens to police and beyond, to protect Texas citizens and anyone else who is in danger because of escalating drug cartel violence.

A drug cartel just recently used bazookas--yes, bazooks--to mow down people at one border crossing. The senator said that it's clear the drug cartels are moving into Texas along the border, and that the state desperately needs help to stop that movement. Those footbridge crossings, so popular among tourists because you can park and walk across into Mexico to shop or eat or just spend the day, are now shooting galleries in some areas.

I've caught bits and pieces of this "breaking headline" story today on FOX, CNN and MSNBC, but since I have only 5 minutes between classes, I don't have enough time to listen long enough to get all the details.

I grew up in Houston, and going to the border towns to shop and vacation was so much fun. No more. It's not even safe to cross over with groups for day trips. I wish I had gotten in on the whole story this morning, but I didn't.

I am sure you can search the internet for more information on this breaking news, and it is breaking news--the senator said the "alert" status had not been made public yet (until he spilled the beans at 7:00, on the radio), so he was the first to let the media know a formal alert has been issued.

Be careful, even if you cross the border bridges on foot and with a large group. According to the latest US State Department travel advisories, the situation is grim and no one is safe, even if you're a little old lady like I am, just looking for a bargain. Drug lords have no respect for life. You wouldn't want to between a bazooka and a suspected drug runner who cheated a drug lord out of some money.
Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We were in the RGV in 2006 Dec and went into Mexico (Reynosa) and had no problems. However that was then and this is now. The Drug Cartel has gotten totally out of hand. There were several people killed in Reynosa according to Fox, Comment deleted as off topic. RVWheels Fox said they are using bazooka's. Thats not good, there is no way we would go there now. I really wanted to go back to the RGV this winter, but we will be back in Gulf Shores next winter. Maybe when this get back to normal we can get back to Texas. I really think a lot of Texas and the still like being a Winter Texan. Sen Dan Patrick I think was his name said Texas will protect their people along the border. Sounds like a good man. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I am watching this situation also as we are planning (?) on wintering near San Antonio this next year. I spent 14 years there and my youngest son was born there. That's also where I met my bride, Cathy, almost 40 years ago. Good memories of San Antonio and Texas. Looking forward to going back.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
My home when I was growing up was ~100 miles either way to Laredo or Reynosa. I have not been across the border since the mid-60's and it was rough back then!!!!! They don't have anything down there that I need or want.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,

Edited because of off topic comments. RVWheels

I certainly hope the situation does not get any worse in Mexico. Of course if it were not for all the folks in the U.S. demanding the drugs....... Well you know the rest...

If I were near the border.... depending on where I'd probably still cross over if I really felt the need. I know a lot of folks who go over for glasses and dental work and I suspect they will still go. But I'd stay away from any large city. That seems to be the places where the violence is the worse. Can you imagine being in law enforcement in Mexico? What a nightmare that would be.

But you need to be alert no matter where you are! Any large city in the U.S. can be very dangerous depending on where you go.

So as they used to say on the TV series Hill Street Blues.... "Let's be safe out there". Or something similar.

Later,

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673

Bureau Of Consular Affairs Travel Alert for Mexico
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Let's please not make this thread political.

Hopefully the thread is now back on topic. RVWheels

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We were in Progreso a couple weeks ago. Lots of people there, just like always. We got what we went after and left. Will be going back in a couple weeks. I did see a TX state legislator on TV last night, talking about preparing for a massive influx of refugees if the Mexican government collapses. And I ain't gonna say what channel he was on!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We are in AZ and get the local news. They are really stressing the problems in Mexico. Nogales, AZ is one of the hot spots. We are not far from there. Border Patrols all around us. Wouldn't cross that border for a million dollars. Off topic comments deleted. RVWheels
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Several posts have been deleted as being off topic.

Please post on topic.

Thank you,

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
I'm just curious what's on topic? Alabama just made one huge cocaine bust and the local media linked it to the Mexican cartel product bound for Atlanta. Seems like the major hub for thier op is Atl. This thing is a lot bigger than Texas. If I had to guess RV'rs are very vunerable for hijacking(pirates in the crusing community)and that letting friends/family know your travel plans are more important now than ever. Steve

Steve. To answer your question, "on topic" means that the gist of any post deals with the subject posted by the original poster (OP). In this case the basic discussion is about travel in Mexico and or the situation around the border between Mexico and the U.S. Your comment here about the situation in AL and their drug problems IS on topic.

RVWheels
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:48 AM   #12
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
We were just in Progresso this Tuesday. Had no problems and a lot of people crossing the bridge. That was the same day that a couple of bridges were closed at other locations due to protesters. There was also some violence at those locations but the authoritys calm that the two were unrelated?? Anyway, at the present, the crossing at Progresso seems to be OK.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #13
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Last year we were in Las Cruses, NM and crossed into one of the "Safest & freindlist" towns along the border and some colorful local tried to run me over. While on foot.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PowellsMonty

Last year we were in Las Cruses, NM and crossed into one of the "Safest & freindlist" towns along the border and some colorful local tried to run me over. While on foot.
When we were in Progreso last year, someone ran the checkpoint going back into Mexico. Seems they had busted a truck theft ring in the Brownsville area, and one of the guys got away. He was in a hurry to get back into Mexico. I would have hated to have been in the crosswalk. He ran through both the arm that drops down, and a bunch of pylons. It sure pays to be vigilant when you're around the border.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #15
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
As Bruce Lenhardt mentioned above Progresso is the same as it always is. Safe and friendly. There are armed solders at the border crossing, checking cars coming into Mexico to try and stop the arms smuggling into Mexico. The soldiers are walking the streets and alleys also.
Most of the problems in this area are related to the Reynosa crossing. We have never been into that city and last yr. the U.S. State Department warned about that area. I imagine the warning is still in effect due to the cartel gangs trying to gain control of the drug situation.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote