Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Extended Service Plans

I joined the Good Sam Club and they have been sending me emails on extended service plans. I have a 08 2955RL and would like get any advice on which plan is worth purchasing (Good Sam or any other plan) and do these really help. What do they generally cover?
Thanks
James, Jan, Zoe(spoiled Shi Tzu) Lee

jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are several out there and it will take a lot of time and homework on your part to become educated on the subject.. First of all they are not extended warranties..they are service contracts. They extend the warranty on nothing. You pay a fee to a company who will repair or replace items on your Rv.What they will replace is where the homework and education comes in. We have the same sort of service contract on our home heating and A/C systems. We pay a heating and A/C business a yearly fee and they maintain and repair our systems. We have the service contract offered by "RV shield". we have had it two years..last month our black tank failed, it was out of warranty and the cost to replace was over 700.00..cost to me was the 50.00 deductible. They are like the bed saver, surge protectors, V tail gates, etc. If you figure you will never use it..then it is a waste of money..I thought what are the probabilities that we will not have a major out of warranty repair on any Rv considering the excellent material and workmanship that goes into them...and we purchased the service contract.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto Rich,
Bought it, have already used it and for some reason feel that it will be used in the future also. Do your research and be sure to make an informed decision!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have one on this unit and haven't used yet . On our last unit we had a roof replaced as it had a small hole in it cost $5000, cost us $100 deductible, also a awning tube and fabric, 1 small wall panel and a sink, things happen and out of pocket can be expensive. Just make sure they are full replacement value. In Canada I go with a company that while give us this coverage or 10 years for a yearly fee.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We have survived quite well without ever having one, on anything.

Just note that if you ever respond to Good Sam, you open up the door to 15 trashbags of junkmail over the next 2 years. I'm in my third year and it's still coming.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
On the 2003 unit I had, two failures paid for the extended warranty and then some. As these units age and with the beating we give them, the chance of component failure increases. The company I had no longer sells policies, but honored the claims I made. My losses came when the unit was 4 years old.

Have not had an extended warranty claim on the 2008 unit, but have had an expensive loss that was covered under the original warranty. The Manufacturer's warranty covered my converter, bedroom TV, surround sound/DVD, and Microwave/convection oven. I am glad for those who have never had significant losses, but I have and would buy the extended warranty again.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Have always been glad I had an extended warranty on both the rig and the truck. Odds are that you will find the opportunity to make use of an extended warranty, if you have one. If by chance you never have to make use of one, you are very fortunate. Every extended warranty I've ever had, even my new Dometic refrigerator purchased in 2004 has made use of its extended warranty. I now have a new Dometic AC and I have the extended warranty on it which gives me complete coverage, to include parts and labor for six years. The only thing it doesn't cover is the maintenance call by the RV tech.

Again though, it's a personal choice.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote