Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
Ah, the siding below the fridge is bubbling!

Holy cats! I just noticed that our siding below the fridge is bubbling up like there has been long term water causing the laminate in the plywood to come apart!!

I looked in the access port behind the fridge.. and the host is still poked through to the outside. and everything is dry inside this space (no traces of any water damage or sitting water in this area).

From the inside of the camper, you can look below the fridge or see that part due to a ton of panels and camper parts in the way.

Any ideas??

John Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
How old is the rig...still under warranty? If so, a trip to the dealer is in order.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
John Young
Established Member

M.O.C. #5585
two years old... 2006..
John Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
This sounds similar to a problem I experienced. I had an area about 16" in diameter laminate on my 2007 3400RL. The lamination was in the area between the bedroom and kitchen slides. It was still in warranty so the dealer cut the area out (only the fiberglass was removed) and installed a patch. The repair was completed in Sept 07 and in Jan 08 I noticed the patch seams were cracking. I have elected to not have these cracks repaired since the cracks are most likely due to stress and the repair will also crack. This lamination appeared to be from a manufacturing defect. The dealer said Keystone had not seen this on any other units.
rwellesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In my visit with JimF today he showed me the fix that kept the interior dry.

On my last trip to NH and ME, DW discovered water sopping on the carpet in the cupboard next to the stove and refrigerator. Jim showed me where it had leaked in at his. Seems it is a simple fix that I will undertake post haste.

What he did was take a piece of right angled (could be left) plastic (plans on chaninging it out to aluminum) and fit it between the bottom of the outside air vent on the inside of the frame, just under the 4 to 6 screws that hold the bottom of the vent to the trailer. Then he siliconed the heck out of it and placed a silicone dam on each end. Said he has never had a problems since. Maybe he can post some pictures, or has posted pictures. As soon as I do it, I'll post pictures. The top air vent should be done the same way.

Edited: Mine Only leaks when it rains and is blown into the vent, drips down to the bottom and floats into the interior through whatever holes it finds.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote