Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I-10 Tunnel at Mobile, AL

Neighbor here in Oleander Acres told me that there is a tunnel under river at Mobile, AL. Said no propane allowed throught the tunnel. If true will need route advise to get past the river as going to Gulf Shores. Thanks in advance.

sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
If that is true I broke the law because I drove right through it, we did not see any signs indicating no propane. It was a beautiful drive, we came through there last month.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

If that is true I broke the law because I drove right through it, we did not see any signs indicating no propane. It was a beautiful drive, we came through there last month.
Bill
Add me to that list. I haven't pulled the RV through there, but have taken my fish fryer w/bottle through there. We took an alternate route around the tunnel many years ago. It took us over an old bridge north of the tunnel. That bridge looked terrible then; hopefully they have repaired or replaced it.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
WE've been thru tunnels before that have signs posted "Turn off your propane tanks prior to entering tunnel". But never have we seen one that disallows propane totally.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have driven through that tunnel several times. I believe that the actual sign says "No hazardous cargo". I take that to mean that you can't drive a tanker truck of propane through it, but what you have in your trailer is not "cargo", it is "fuel". It probably applies equally to to cargos or gasoline or diesel, but everyone drives through with those fuels in their tanks. (This is just my take on it, you would have to check with the authorities to be certain). The only place I have had to actually turn my propane off was on the Galveston Bay ferry.

P.S. Where are you going in Gulf Shores? We are heading there (Gulf State Park) in a few days.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:01 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've been through that tunnel several times and have never turned off my propane. I do it if there is a sign telling me I should, but never noticed a sign for this tunnel. And even then, if there was a sign, turn the propane off and proceed.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #7
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Here in Virginia they make you pull over to the check station before the tunnel and turn off the propane.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Drove through it last summer,did not see a sign about propane and no one was stopping for anything.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Some years ago I made inquiry at the Alabama Welcome Station (coming in from Mississippi) and was informed that it was alright to tow through the tunnel with propane tanks, but that they should be shut off before entry (Alabama law). We have followed that procedure every since. We have been through that tunnel many, many times.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Been through that tunnel many times...never saw a sign that said 'no propane,' never saw a sign saying turn the propane off.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Thanks everybody for your input. I can relax. Enough to worry about with the idiots we encounter on the highway without wondering if I am going to have to worry about traveling through tunnels. Now just have to see if the DW can get a picture taken as we enter the tunnel. Have gone through mountain tunnels, but never river tunnels.

John and Donna we are looking at stopping in Gulf State Park also. Let us know which site you are in and we'll have to get together. We are meeting friends of ours there who also have a 2980RL, but I don't know what site they are in.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We came that way in November and saw no signs about the propane. I always look after living in Va Beach for 17 years. The Hampton Roads bridge tunnel has you stop and turn off your propane, as does the Monitor/Merrimac tunnel. I never saw any signs for that from Norfolk to Portsmouth (3 tunnels). I never saw any signs on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel (to eastern shore)... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Dave and Carla,

Sorry for the delay in answering, we were packing and traveling. We are on site 460.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
Have also driven through the tunnel, no problem. Another suggestion if going to Gulf Shores from the west is to drop down to Dauphin Island on the southwestern tip of Mobile Bay. Stay at the public campground on the east end of the island which is right by the ferry dock and then take the ferry across to Fort Morgan and Gulf Shores. Bellingrath Gardens and Home is worth visiting while at Dauphin Island
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've been through that tunnel several times. No problem. When I asked the state I was told not a problem for rv's with propane even with the bottles open. It's the official hazmat vehicles that have to go around.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote