Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Must have been something I said

Anyway, we are here in St. Andrews State Park. There are bad fires in the area, but none threatening the park.

Strange that previous posts have disappeared.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
padredw, where are the fires in relation to the park?
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
David and Brenda - We have been seeing and smelling varying amounts of smoke from the fires in Southern GA from haze in the Tampa area to seeing and smelling smoke along the Gulf coast to Perry and then west along FL 98 and I-10 to west of Tallahassee. News reports have said that they have been burning from mid-April and will go on for weeks yet. The water levels are all very low and a stream that went through our cg in Largo was dry.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Firefighter,

The largest fire is up near Freeport between here and DeFuniak Springs, and a second very dangerous one is up Back Beach Road near Laguna Beach. There are evacuations in both areas.

We skirted the "Freeport" fire by turning there off 331 onto Fla 20 and over to 79 south. We didn't know anything about it at the time, but the smoke told the story.

We are here in site 110 and the weather is unbelievably cool with strong winds.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Padre - Thanks for the update. We are camping just north of De Funiak Springs and didn't know about the closer ones - Jim
Old 05-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hey guys
Her in the bottom of FL we are in a bad drought as there is no water and the fires are burning all the time , we are losing houses every week we are told and lots of school closing and business closing again tonight as the smoke is so bad in places I 75 has been open and closed at will last week alagator alley was closed for the most of 2 days john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Carol and Jim,

We were at Sunset King Lake RV Resort north of DeFuniak Springs on Sunday night, just for the overnight. How far away were we from you?

David and Shirley
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 AM   #8
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
The weather has been crazy this year. It has been unseasonably cool here in the mountains, but nice. We have avoided any major fires so far, but it is too dry.

Padredw, tell Daryl and Deborah, Alan and Susan, Jerry and Joanne; camphosts, we said hello and hope all is going well.

Hopefully the weather will get back on track for you guys, you go to the beach for SUN.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Firefighter,

We are in site 110 (one of our favorites). Which of these friends is the host at the entrance to Pine Grove campground? And where are the others? I walked past the host further down the road last night but did not see anyone out.

It was in the 40s here last night! Never remember it like that. The fires are slowly being contained. We will drive up through that area today on the way to Ft. Walton Beach airport where we will pick up our daughter who is flying in from Colorado.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:18 AM   #10
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
David and Shirley - We are at Sunset King now, Lot M2. We are next to a Montana that has not been occupied since we arrived yesterday. We are leaving tomorrow for Montgomery. Stay safe in these fires.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:55 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
We were in site O7 on Sunday night, just for an overnight. We enjoyed it but were disappointed that the WIFI was a charge item and that it did not handle outgoing email properly.

The fires were right down south on US 331 around Freeport.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #12
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are having a problem with our Verizon wireless aircard, too and will not pay the park fee if it is as you say - thanks. Hope we can meet up one of these days.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Jim, I don't know how long you've had your Verizon aircard, but there is an upgrade for some of them. You might check it out.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Padredw, Daryl and Deborah are on the site on the left at the entrance of Pine Grove. Alan and Susan, Jerry and Joanne are on the concrete sites at the turnaround at the end of the park.
Enjoy yourself.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Judy. I checked the "check for updates" button and was advised that it is the latest version. Maybe I'll call Verizon. - Jim
Old 05-09-2007, 02:59 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Firefighter, now that I know where the hosts are located I'll try to make contact. We haven't been around the camp much yet because we had to drive up to Ft. Walton airport to pick up our daughter, Margaret.

We had a wonderful seafood dinner at "The Captain's Table" down in old St. Andrews. Some of the best we've ever had. We drove directly back from the airport down there hoping that it was open. We were lucky.

Weather is beautiful today with the sunrise over Grand Lagoon. Our activity level will pick up now that Margaret is here!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #17
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Padredw, we always eat at the Captains Table, not fancy, but great, fresh seafood. You are making me hungry thinking about it. Glad everything is going well, we are getting into the swing of things here in the mountains. Take care, let me know if things go well at the park.