Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Electric Fireplace

Last night our electric fireplace appears to have died a painful death. One minute it was putting out heat and a good image of burning logs, and the next minute the light show went out, along with the electric heater, putting out a strong smell of the motor burning up. We weren't too happy with this occurance sense we have had this fireplace for only three months, after the factory installed fireplace worked for five minutes during the PDI. So Monday morning we will have to contact the local Montana dealer and see how long it will take to get a replacement, last one took five weeks, so we may have to postpone for a couple of months until we get home. It sure does leave a nasty odor in the ole homestead.

bob

rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:42 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Something that you might want to check on since this the second incident with the fireplace. Could be there is a loose connection on the wiring somewhere that would cause overheating conditions for the fireplace. I would be very suspicious.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Charlie is right - but might be too late. Some have had loose connections where the AC ties to the fireplace and once it starts arcing - it makes a mess. This reminds me I need to check mine.

I've already went through the electical panel and found 3 ground terminals that weren't ever tightened.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Brad and Charlie thanks for the advice will check out the connections.

bob
Old 03-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Our wires burned and blew the fuses. Not a good thing but thank God it blew the fuse instead of us.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
I agree Helen, blown fuses easy to replace, great MOC members priceless!!!!

bob
Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I wouldn't even mess with it, Bob. Just call Keystone, or better yet, the phone number on the manual right away. I have dealt with these people before. They are very accommodating. I am sure they will get things going for your quickly.

On Edit~ I mean AFTER you check the wiring...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:05 AM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Dave, I am going to call the folks in Canada Monday and see what they have to say, the wiring looks good going from fuse panel to outlet,so we will see what they have to say. If they are as good as Midwest and Lynne of the Apollo Microwave connection, I will be very happy. There is a Montana dealer about 20 miles from where I am at in Gulf Shores, Alabama that has a super nice service manager, so I will be talking with him as well. Thanks.

bob
Old 03-11-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
They were very good with me, Bob. My "flame" litttle electric motor quit on me. They were very friendly on the phone and they immediately sent me a new motor for free with simple instructions on how to replace it. They were great. Seemed very concerned about customer relations.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We had a blower problem with ours. It melted the blower wheel in a few places. Called the factory and talked to a nice young lady told her my problem and she sent s a new heating assembly free of charge. nice people to deal with. Make sure you have the serial number and model number when you call.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:54 AM   #11
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Took my Tana into Emerald Coast RV in Robertsdale, Al. and they found a loose nuetral wire in the fireplace. It now works great, also got my furnace checked out completely for free because tech thought the work was supposed to be done on the furnace instead of the fireplace, so he checked it out thoroughly including gas line, electric connections, and the furnace itself. So was very happy to get that little extra service. Don't know about sales, but Jeremy and Jimmy, the service reps are terrific. I overheard Jeremy tell a customer who bought their motorhome at a different dealership, and was concerned if Emerald Coast RV had a problem with that, tell the person they are more than happy to service any rv, regardless of where bought, because that is why they are there. Good attitude. They will definitely be our service center when in Gulf Shores area.

bob
Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good to hear that report on that dealership, Bob.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sounds like a loose neutral would do it!

I think this was brought up by Ozz before - but I took the cover off my power center and started checking the screws on terminals. You wouldn't believe it. 3 of the ground wires weren't even screwed in and the wires had fallen out of the terminal blocks. Several of the neutrals were loose as well. Leave your unit unplugged and take a moment to check all of those. Only takes a minute but can save a lot of trouble - even a fire or shock. Also check the exterior plug terminals, and if you feel ambitious, pull out the power center and there is a large low voltage ground buss behind it on the wall (white wires - 12V).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
I agree Brad, definitely worth the time to check out the power center. I was glad I took it in to a dealer, since I have been parked in the same spot since Jan 6th. It felt good to shake the dust of the tires and haul the beast down the road for a whole 20 miles, and then comeback and setup camp, then off to the oyster bar. Life is good rving. Take care..

bob
Old 03-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I did that too a couple months ago and low and behold (anyone still use that phrase???) NONE of my wires were loose. That is really a blast working up in there. Also checked all connections on my converter - all tight. Whats up with that??? Everyone else is having problems. How come I'm so lucky?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Glad to hear that it was an easy fix Bob and that the people at Emerald Coast were so good. It is an area that we expect to be back in again.

Bill and I sure enjoyed meeting you and Barb while we were in Gulf Shores and hope to see you again some time down the road.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:02 AM   #17
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Helen, we sure hope to meet you again as well. Hope you are having good weather on your journey.
Dave and Cheryl, hope Mickey and Minnie are being kind to you in Florida. Thanks for the good advice.

Everyone travel safe.

barb and bob