Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
rgrubbs

M.O.C. #5850
Send a message via MSN to rgrubbs
Generators/ tires and new to RV's

have been looking a Rv for years, Having one is alot different....We just purchased a used 2001 2850RK 5th. Went to camping world this weekend because we had questions on Generators. They said that a good setup was to purchase 2-2000 Hondas and tie them together so you had 4000 to use for the Air, but could only have to use one most of the time for the other equipment. any one use this set up? they have a sale on the units and the tie in device. Also the trailer has always been outside. The tires have lots of tread but you can see some cracks in the side walls. Also said must replace but had never owened a RV so we do not know what is the best choice for new tires. Called Les Swab they say Toyo 10ply and American Tire says Michilin 10ply Les said Heat was a big factor and that Toyo was constructed best for that at around $950. Any input would greatly help. Can't wait to be able to share my own experences Ron and Heather Grubbs

rgrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Heather,
Congrats on your new rv! I can imagine how excited you must be. On the tire part of your concern, if you are seeing cracks in your sidewalls, replacing them would probably be your best and safest investment so far. I have dealt with Les Schwabs for more than 9 years, they have been great to me and my family, and they stand behind the products they sell. I run the Toyo Open Country tires on my truck, love them! I am not sure which tire they recommended for trailer use, but wanted to say the Toyo's have been very good to me so far.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Ron and Heather, welcome to the forum. Quite a few folks use the Honda set up you mention, so I'm sure you'll get opinions on that mattter. I have a 1999 2850RK and have considered the same setup.

Is you're unit equipped with 15" or 16" tires and rims? Mine was delivered with 15", but some later units were equipped with 16". If 15" you're pretty limited in brands carrying a load range E (10 ply)rating. If you're lucky enough to have 16" there are more options.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I have the honda eu3000is gen and love it. Runs all i would want to run. Some prefer the other brand not me. Tire wise if you buy the les shwab version which if like the rest of there tire line is great, They have an exclusive on TOYO tires in in their markets. They are also the number Toyo dealer in the US. I have a set on my SUV and soon on my Montana. In a les swab area the service is second to none. I hve a good friend who has work for them for 12 years and he is amased at the service they provide.. jmho
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Ron and Heather,

If you have cracks in your sidewalls you need to replace them. That's usually a sign of UV damage. I would always recommend covering your tires when the trailer is parked outside. Even though my dad always told me that and he did it, it took be ruining a set of tires on my last trailer in only two years leaving it outside. All of a sudden it made sense for me to buy four covers at about $22 a pair.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Honda generators are fine units but do some homework on other brands before you spend your hard earned $. We bought the Kipor 3500ti.It is practically the same as the Honda 3000 with 80% of the parts interchangeable. It also runs everything and is as quiet as the Honda not to mention it cost a lot less.. Think you will find members here using all of the different brand generators..check out all the brands then get the one that will best serve your needs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Rich, did you ever see what all you could hook up and run with your generator, before cut out?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Rich, did you ever see what all you could hook up and run with your generator, before cut out?
See stats. I had both the 15K and 13.5K A/c on, normal lighting and one Tv..did not try the micro wave as I did not think it would handle it.With one A/C we would be Ok..The Honda an others are fine units but we are super impressed with the Kipor..it is worth a look..

Rated frequency (Hz): 60
Rated voltage (V): 120
Rated current (A): 23.3
Rated output power: 2800 watts
Max output power: 3000 watts
Rated rotation speed (rpm): 3600
DC output: 12V-8.3A
Phase number: Single phase
Overall dimension (in)(LxWxH): 27.0 x 16.7 x 19.9
Dry weight [kg (lbs)]: 60 (132)
Continuous running time (hr)(rated output): 20hrs 1/4 load, 8 hours full load
Noise level[dB(A)/7m]: 60 no load - 64 full load
Engine model: KG205GTi
Displacement [L (cc)]: 0.2 (200)
Rated power[kW (PS)/rpm]: 4.0(5.5)/3600
Ignition system: T.C.I.
Engine type: Single cylinder, 4-stroke, vertical,air-cooled, overhead valve, gasoline engine
Starter system: Electric Start
Fuel type: Automotive unleaded gasoline
Lube brand: SAE10W30 (above CC grade)
Low oil pressure alert system: Yes
Spark plug: F6RTC
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Absolutely agree on replacing tires with weather checking, which is what I assume the cracks are. It comes from age and exposure. I would get those tires replaced before taking it any farther than the tire dealer if it were mine.

I am not personally familiar with Toyo tires but when the Jeep Safari of several thousand rock climbing Jeeps came into Moab, UT, while we were there, I noticed a lot of Toyo tires. That was enough to impress me. Those tires took a serious beating.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
We use the Honda 2000i for all needs except for A/C. I can do without the A/C for $1000.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
I have a trucker friend who says that Toyo tires are the best. So last blowout saw me asking for that brand. Only cost $10 more so that is what went on the trailer. Will replace truck tires with same when needed.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I purchased a Kipor 3000Ti for my trip to Alaska. It seems to be a very good unit. I tried it out to break it in before we left. I first ran a full size refirgerator, 2 fans, 1 lamp and used a hair dryer on and off at times to see if it could handle it. It ran fine and ran for 8 hours on 1 tank of fuel. The next day I tried it out on the Montana and ran the fridge, a freezer, lights and microwave also the coffee maker with no problem. I ran the A/C without running anything else.
I feel for the money this is a very good unit, they have been in business for 15 years and it looks like a honda, just yellow.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
On my trip I only used my Kipor 2000 once but I did need it. We sayed overnight at a Walmart in Hinton Alberta and it was snowing lightly and about 24 F outside so the furnace was running a lot.
We fired up the Kipor and ran it for about 8 hours. We had all the power we needed for watching TV and we had lights on all over . The rest of the time we always had power but the little Kipor was nice to have along as a back up.
IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/Wrenchtraveller/pictures10032.jpg[/IMG]
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote