Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #1
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan
 
Denny and Angie Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mid Missouri
Posts: 144
M.O.C. #19889
6 or 12 volt?

This question is to anyone who has the electric (not hydraulic) auto leveling system and has switched from 12 volt to 6 volt batteries:
Are you happy with your switch to 6 volt?
Do your leveling motors operate better?
Did you get (2) or (4) 6 volt batteries?

The details:
Its time to replace my batteries. I bought the trailer new, with interstate deep cycle 12v batteries (2) and the leveling motors have always sounded as if they are overloaded when lifting the trailer. Lately the breaker often trips before the trailer is level...in the past that would only happen when I tried to lift the tires off the ground using the leveling system (I only did this a few times). I suspect the batteries are weak and as the voltage droops during operation the motors pull more amps causing the breaker to trip (as designed).
The trailer is always plugged in to 50A shore power, we have residential fridge, no solar or plan to add it, and never boondock (no desire to either).
The battery charger is the 3 stage type from WFCO (WF-9865).

I'm also going to look at *possibly* replacing the circuit breaker with an additional 10A beyond what is currently installed, but no more than that. (I don't know what is installed yet)...NO I'm not going to install the 80A...that "fix" is for some hydraulic systems.
Battery maintenance is not an issue so I can get wet or agm batteries, but I'm not dropping the $ for lithium. If I had solar and wanted to boondock, maybe. Yes I've seen the videos on lithium cost over lifetime.

I would appreciate any replies from those who have my similar set up and have switched to 6 volt
 
__________________
2017 Montana High Country 353RL
2017 Silverado 3500HD DRW CC LB 6.6L Duramax
B&W Companion
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master
 
432bartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: UPLAND
Posts: 984
M.O.C. #26190
I think the main issue is the trailer using a 50amp breaker, which are known to cut out when doing the slides. I had fresh 12V batteries in mine and this was occurring. A simple swap to an 80 amp breaker solved this problem. I've been using two AGM 12volts with no issues at all. I don't dry camp either though.
__________________
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #3
ChuckS
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mountain Home
Posts: 646
M.O.C. #20949
Personally I prefer six volt GC2 golf cart batteries.. two wired in series for 12 volts

I have my current set of Costco Interstate branded batteries now on their 8th year.

Specific gravity test on all cells is perfect.. they will outperform any other flooded cell battery.. IMO

And for $89 each they were a great buy.l not at $98 a piece and I will replace mine next year after 8 years of use
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
Jay Merritt
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Wauchula
Posts: 2
M.O.C. #30834
2 Six volt golfcart batteries in series are what we have. Six volt batteries have thicker lead plates and can handle more abuse.

Tip: leave the truck running with the umbilical cord connected to get bit more power. And/or plug the power cord in to get an extra push from the stock battery charger. If you have one, turn off the inverter for the fridge. Don't forget to turn it back on
Jay Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:58 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master
 
rohrmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 4,076
M.O.C. #12947
You really should not increase the size of the 12 volt breaker on the electric leveling system. Keep using a 50 amp breaker but maybe upgrade it to a better breaker like a Bussmann. The 80 amp breaker is only recommended for the hydraulic systems that use #4 strand copper wire to power the electric motor on the hydraulic pump. If the 50 amp breaker has been tripping frequently, the contacts are probably burnt which causes higher resistance and will lower voltage going to the motors.
__________________
Bob & Becky
2012 3402RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC 4WD
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:41 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master
 
RMcNeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,625
M.O.C. #25165
If I understood your question correctly, you have ELECTRIC jacks and not the hydraulic ones. If this is the case, you really should not be lifting the trailer with them. Hydraulic jacks can withstand the weight, however the electric jacks cannot. I don't think the battery is your problem here. The jacks are not strong enough to lift the trailer no matter what/how many batteries you apply. They will eventually fail catastrophically.
__________________
Robert & Diana McNeal
2019 Montana Legacy 3791RD 20th Anniversary Edition
2014 F350 4x4 6.7L SRW
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:35 AM   #7
brooks340
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Calgary
Posts: 54
M.O.C. #25402
As others have posted already, I would not increase the size of the breaker. If the 50a breaker is tripping regularly then you have something wrong, either breaker of something else in the levelling system. Increasing the breaker size could be dangerous in that case. I swapped out our single 12v battery for 4 6v batteries and have been using them for the last 2 years. Only drawback is they are very heavy which makes winterizing the trailer a chore. I have a 2020 MHC 294RL.
__________________
2020 294RL
2019 GMC 3500HD 6.6L 4x4 SRW
brooks340 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:43 AM   #8
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan
 
Denny and Angie Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mid Missouri
Posts: 144
M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks340 View Post
I swapped out our single 12v battery for 4 6v batteries and have been using them for the last 2 years. Only drawback is they are very heavy which makes winterizing the trailer a chore. I have a 2020 MHC 294RL.
Could you tell a difference in how hard your leveling motors had to work in order to level the trailer when you switched to 6 volt?
__________________
2017 Montana High Country 353RL
2017 Silverado 3500HD DRW CC LB 6.6L Duramax
B&W Companion
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:25 PM   #9
bcrvman
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 594
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
This question is to anyone who has the electric (not hydraulic) auto leveling system and has switched from 12 volt to 6 volt batteries:
Are you happy with your switch to 6 volt?
Do your leveling motors operate better?
Did you get (2) or (4) 6 volt batteries?

The details:
Its time to replace my batteries. I bought the trailer new, with interstate deep cycle 12v batteries (2) and the leveling motors have always sounded as if they are overloaded when lifting the trailer. Lately the breaker often trips before the trailer is level...in the past that would only happen when I tried to lift the tires off the ground using the leveling system (I only did this a few times). I suspect the batteries are weak and as the voltage droops during operation the motors pull more amps causing the breaker to trip (as designed).
The trailer is always plugged in to 50A shore power, we have residential fridge, no solar or plan to add it, and never boondock (no desire to either).
The battery charger is the 3 stage type from WFCO (WF-9865).

I'm also going to look at *possibly* replacing the circuit breaker with an additional 10A beyond what is currently installed, but no more than that. (I don't know what is installed yet)...NO I'm not going to install the 80A...that "fix" is for some hydraulic systems.
Battery maintenance is not an issue so I can get wet or agm batteries, but I'm not dropping the $ for lithium. If I had solar and wanted to boondock, maybe. Yes I've seen the videos on lithium cost over lifetime.

I would appreciate any replies from those who have my similar set up and have switched to 6 volt
My new unit came with 2 x 12V 75AH(75 usable). I replaced them with Trojan T105's, 2 x 6V 225AH (112.5 usable) they worked much better. Lippert the manufacturer of our hydrulic system sent our a techical flyer advising to upgrade the 50A to an 80 amp breaker. I used a non auto-rest marine grade breaker. It has never tripped since. I now have Lithium and 600AH (480AH usable)
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:27 PM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master
 
RMcNeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,625
M.O.C. #25165
Please be aware that the 80 Amp breaker ONLY applies to hydraulic jacks, not the electric jacks.
__________________
Robert & Diana McNeal
2019 Montana Legacy 3791RD 20th Anniversary Edition
2014 F350 4x4 6.7L SRW
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #11
Mikelff
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Keller
Posts: 439
M.O.C. #26851
You might need a better 50 amp breaker. Also, load test your battery. DO NOT install a 80 amp breaker on an electric leveling system. If these two things don't work, call Lippert for additional help.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:51 PM   #12
Foldbak
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 427
M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
Could you tell a difference in how hard your leveling motors had to work in order to level the trailer when you switched to 6 volt?
The levelers will work just as hard regardless of the battery configuration. As long as the batteries are charged and in good shape. The motors draw what they draw. The more weight you take off the axels the more they have to work.
__________________
2022 Montana High Country 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 Dimensions inverter
2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, Demco 21K Auto Slide
Foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:44 PM   #13
J.Fish
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Men Falls
Posts: 8
M.O.C. #28740
I had similar issues on my HC384BR with electric leveling. I ran 2 6v batteries since it was new. I also redid all the front wiring in the camper and got rid of that mess. The leveling on mine was actually on a 30amp auto reset with other loads stacked on it. I contacted Lippert and the confirmed electric spec is 50amp WIRED DIRECTLY to the battery not stacked on various loads like Keystone does. I added a 50amp marine breaker wired directly to the battery for leveling. Not one problem since with blown breaker. I also seperated all the other loads and installed a blue sea marine breaker panel with labeled and resettable breakers. Like others stated no 80amp but it sounds like you know that already.
J.Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:50 AM   #14
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan
 
Denny and Angie Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mid Missouri
Posts: 144
M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Fish View Post
I had similar issues on my HC384BR with electric leveling. I ran 2 6v batteries since it was new. I also redid all the front wiring in the camper and got rid of that mess. The leveling on mine was actually on a 30amp auto reset with other loads stacked on it. I contacted Lippert and the confirmed electric spec is 50amp WIRED DIRECTLY to the battery not stacked on various loads like Keystone does. I added a 50amp marine breaker wired directly to the battery for leveling. Not one problem since with blown breaker. I also seperated all the other loads and installed a blue sea marine breaker panel with labeled and resettable breakers. Like others stated no 80amp but it sounds like you know that already.
Thanks for the reply, and being one of few to actually read all of my original post. I should have known to consider Keystone hadn't bothered to connect the system correctly. Sure enough, the circuit breaker was a 30A with numerous other loads stacked on it... I reviewed the manual and verified it should have had a 50A. I swapped in a 50A and 2 Trojan T-105's. I still have to finish modifying the new battery box vent line, and plan on building my own breaker panel complete with volt/amp meters so I can see what is actually happening.
__________________
2017 Montana High Country 353RL
2017 Silverado 3500HD DRW CC LB 6.6L Duramax
B&W Companion
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:15 AM   #15
J.Fish
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Men Falls
Posts: 8
M.O.C. #28740
Awesome.....let us know if it does the trick. I'll post a pick later of my wiring mod.
J.Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.