Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
New faucet with pull out spray installed.

I replaced the faucet in the stick house a while back with a nice faucet that you pull the end of the spout and you have a nice sprayer by touching a button . It also has a nice soap dispenser that installs to the right of the spout.

The faucet that came with my 06 2955RL is a decent quality unit but it was missing a spray which we feel is an absolute must for washing produce and rinsing dishes.

The same unit we have in the stick house came on sale and we bought it and I installed it today. The Monty has two holes drilled into the one piece counter top and the centre hole where the spout arm is installed was too small for the faucet I bought. To enlarge this hole I marked the size I wanted with a pencil and used a 1/2 inch round file. It took about 10 minutes to file this hole bigger. The hole on the right where the mixer valve was installed is just the right size for the soap dispenser.

This new faucet looks great and I will post some pictures of this and my other improvements in the near future.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,
Sounds like a great replacement faucet. I look forward to seeing pictures...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don, how much do us Americans have to cough up for this faucet?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Sounds very nice..will wait to see your pics.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Don, how much do us Americans have to cough up for this faucet?
Less than us Canadians, because your dollar is still worth more although our dollar is gaining and that is hurting some of our Industries as we buy in Canadian dollars and sell in US dollars.

I bought this Peerless Faucet at a Canadian Tire store which is a company that has big stores that sell everything. It was regular 120.00 but was on sale for 59.00 or about 45.00 US. Good quality, ceramic disc cartridge, solid brass waterways, and a life time guarantee. It comes with a large deck plate to use with 3 hole sinks and it also comes with a small round plate to use with counter mount faucets like we have on our Montanas. The soap dispencer has a round base that covers the hole. Make sure any faucet you buy will adapt for a counter mount because not all of them do and you don't want a big deck plate on a counter mount faucet.

This is interesting to me but quite a few years ago they started using jack screws in conjuction with a large nut to make it easier to tighten up faucets. Anybody that has installed a faucet in the last few years will know what I mean. Anyway you position the faucet in the cover plate that has a rubber seal on the bottom. Under the counter you place a rubber washer, a large washer and a nut on the threaded fitting of the valve. You spin the nut up finger tight to hold it in place and then you take the large nut that has two screws tapped into extensions on each side and spin this up finger tight. You then take a philips screwdriver and tighten those two screws. The screws tighten against the large steel washer and tightly fasten the faucet in place with a nice even pressure.

Anyway the old world craftsmen that installed the original faucet did not put the rubber washer, steel washer and small nut underneath the faucet. They just spun the large fastening nut with the two jack screws up in place and tightened the screws right into the fibreglass counter. The deck is only 3/8" thick and these two screws had gone into the fibreglass almost 1/8" of an inch.
When the screws come against the steel washer they spread the squeeze evenly and the rubber washer against the bottom of the sink prevents stress in one spot.
By leaving parts out of the installation and tightening the screws into the fibreglass, the old world craftsmen put all the pressure on two small points and this would encourage cracks down the road.

Check to see if your faucet was installed by the same unskilled plumber that did mine and get it fixed. Take care.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Don,

That's a great mod. We did the same a couple of years ago and it really makes washing dishes much easier.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Great job. We may have to look up your installation instructions soon. We just bought a new faucet today for Monty. It also has a pull out sprayer from the faucet. When this snow goes away we will install it.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:47 AM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
This sure makes it easier to rinse things in the sink. I went a little further and installed a Price/Phister in the bathroom too. This nozzel does not pull out and you have to watch the height so it misses the medicine cabinet. I can rinse mu face to shave now. I put both of these faucets in a bag with the lazy susan I took out so if we would ever trade for say the 3400, I could just install them in it. Amazing how these little changes make such a big difference.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:10 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
It's really amazing how expensive these faucets are. Someone's making a lot of money, JMO. We plan on switching ours both out, also. FTing will almost demand it, I believe.

My oldest daughter, Danielle, who lives in Las Vegas, used to be married to a plumbing contractor. I used to get top of the line faucets free. When they visited us in N. MI, he would even put them in for me. Not my favorite job, because there is always mods you have to do (ever try to drill/cut a new hole in a stainless steel sink?).

Although, now... her new boyfriend has a Hummer, BWM, and a 'vette. He is a field supervisor for a large 3-state construction company that she runs the payroll dept for (Their boss just bought Kenny Roger's ranch in Athens, GA and sent him and Danielle there for a week to check it out). He and Danielle travel to the Carribean twice a year, Cancun once or twice, the company ranch in Colorado (has it own skeet and trap range), and of course, they travel up here once or twice a year. He was so impressed with this area here in NW MI, he is looking for some land here to build a second home.

So... I may have to buy and install my own faucets, but it may be a good trade off...
Old 03-13-2006, 09:19 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Maybe you can get him to let you drive that 'vette for a few days.... =) Might be well worth doing ones own plumbing...
Old 03-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, I'll just take the Carribean trip...

Don how easy is it to see if that gasket is gone. I have installed that type in my house. Just wondering how easy it is to get at to check on a 3400 - during a PDI.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Dave, just look up there with a flashlight and if that washer is missing it is fairly easy to see that and I could see the two jack screws turned into the fibreglass. Dave when are you picking up your new rig. I know Rich has one on order, not sure about yours.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Planning on ordering the first of next week. Need it for May 26th.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Let us know when the order is placed...
Old 03-13-2006, 10:57 PM   #15
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Instead of replacing the faucet, we bought a spray attachment for $1.50. It attaches to the tap and swivels. Makes rincing out the sink easy.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #16
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I would think you could get one from Keystone. Our Big Sky came with a pull out spray standard.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #17
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Word of warning. Installed a new faucet with the pullout spray. Many little problems , but thought I had it whipped. Had a leak on the hot water side. Got tired and put a little too much pressure on the coupling and twisted the copper pipe to the faucet into a knot! No hot water---now have to cut the pipe and solder in a coupling to fix it.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #18
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Maybe with enough encouragement, you can get ToolManRoy to post a picture of the "kegerator" faucet that they installed in their Montana. It's awesome!...
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:38 AM   #19
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
You see Margee, I described Toolmanroy's faucet as an on board fire extinguisher...I believe Nancy already reposted a picture of that device..She said it is getting harder and harder for her to convince Roy to put it into the stick house because everyone here likes it so much...Go figure!!!It must be a man thing!!!!LOL
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote