Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Question for those who have installed 2nd air cond

For those who have installed 2nd air conditioner......... Did you put it in the vent over the bed or the other vent that is next to that one? We have the 3295 and there are two vents in there. One over bed and one in bath area.
If you have it over the bed.... Does it blow cold air on you all night? Or is there a way to turn vent the other way. Off the bed?
We are going to install it next month or before the weather gets hot.
Getting a 13.5 Low profile.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
The one we added to our front living room--the cold air exits from the side--not from the bottom. Our standard a/c in our bedroom has vents on the bottom to direct the flow of air. Hope this helps.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Our added unit was in the bedroom. The return air is in the center of the unit in the ceiling and vents are on all four sides. Each vent can be redirected or shut off. It won't blow on you all night unless you want it to. We shut the nearside vent off and receive the indirect airflow of the far side vent. One or the other of us may get up during the night and shut the unit off.

The add-on unit is not ducted like your original. It is basically a room air conditioner. There may be other types of installations though.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:41 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
On my 06 2955RL I have the second A/C preparation option and this is set up to use the vent over the bed for the A/C.
The vent by the shower has a fantastic fan installed in it.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:14 AM   #5
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
Ours is mounted over the bed. It is set up to push the cold air forward (toward the front of the coach) or rearward (toward the bath and kitchen area). It does not create a significant airflow toward the bed that I have noticed.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Ours has louvers on it like mentioned above where you can direct the air in many different directions. Ours has a small motor attached to the vents and when they are open it will move the louvers back and forth to spread the air around evenly. Ours is a front living room unit, but if I was you I wouldn't mount an A/C above the shower area. I would leave that vent for an exhaust fan to get rid of the humidity when showering.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ron, just curious... what brand/btu is that?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Carrier 15k. It is not a low profile one like I would have liked to had. But we had already made a deal to buy the trailer and then before I would agree on a final price I wanted to negotiate in the slide out covers and a 2nd A/C. So I didn't have much leverage to demand a ceertain one be installed. But it works great and we are happy with it so far.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Do you think you could have gotten by with a 13.5K? Sorry to keep beating on this - Rich and I are getting ready to order and we both are probably getting 2nd A/Cs on our 3400s.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Take a look at the member pictures, there are many who have the 2nd a/c on their coach. I am not going to tell ya which one you should buy, but I would recommend that you look into ordering a low profile a/c. To the best of my knowledge Keystone does not offer a low profile, if a standard a/c is ordered it will increase the overall height to the coach. Just something to think about. As you know I will be ordering my 2nd a/c in 3 weeks and will have it installed in April when the coach comes out of the garage to be dewinterized. I am getting the Dometic Low-pro 15k btu w/ heatstrip and the installed price is around $950.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:28 AM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks everyone. We are getting the low profile 13.5. Going to install it over the bed. Probably will have the neighbor help get it on the roof. Don't think we need a bigger one then that. Since we already have the living area air conditioner.
Thanks again.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Dave & others, yes I think a 13.5 would suit everyone well too. We mainly run both when we first set up and the inside of the trailer is very hot and humid. Once it has bee initially cooled down we sometimes shut the 2nd one off or turn it down a bit. We spend a lot of our time outside but like to be able to cool off when it gets unbearable. Plus it helps with climate control as you can run one area of the trailer a little cooler than the other. If the ones from Keystone are not the low profile versions I would probably wait and have it installed later. My second one added considerable height to the unit. If I could have gotten a low profile one I would have chose that one instead. I've stated before I am @ 13'3" hooked up and ready to go. It makes me a little nervous when I am driving the 2 lane roads thru some of the smaller towns.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ron, Thanks alot! I'm about to bring this subject up with the guy I will probably order my 3400 from. With you and Dave's (Montana Sky) very strong recommendation, that is enough for me. I also did not think of the weight difference - something that we are really watching, of course. Rich, are you reading this???
Old 02-23-2006, 04:29 AM   #14
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
I installed the carrier 15K btu low profile to the bedroom of my coach. The install was a breeze and it really makes a difference in the summer months. One A/C is just not enough for the interior volume of a 32+ foot 5th wheel IMO. In the Florida heat last summer, I had temps of at or near 80° inside my coach with just the one A/C. After installing the second 15K btu, I could almost leave the door open and still keep it cool inside . My a/c vents blow toward the front and toward the rear of the coach also. The only thing I would do different is I would like to install the heating strips. If I had done that, I think I could get by in milder cold weather without firing up my furnace.
Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote