Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
need an idea for slideout and awning

I have a 3670RL, I have experimented on a cover for the space between the slidout and awning at the door. Has anyone considered a solution to cover this space to prevent rain from coming down in this area and the rain off the slideout cover draining in this area?
Looking for ideas?

rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
I don't have the same model that you do but do have that space between the slide out and the awning. I will be watching to see what you come up with.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is a tuffy. I have the same floorplan and the same issue. I haven't solved the problem yet, so this is all speculation. What would it be like to install snaps on the awning to match snaps on a piece of appropriately sized awning fabric to cover the space? If you have a slide cover, snaps might be added to it for the attachment of the awning fabric. What I envision would have to be put in place after the rig was set up with slide and awning in the open position. It would more than likely require a ladder and would not be convenient to put in place.

There are probably better solutions to be found, but maybe this will start the process of finding one.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
prariepoodle, looking at you signature your awning covers the doorway, are you guys talking about the area between the awning and the slide? seeing the slide is almost the same heigth as the slide, attaching anything to each of them creating a bridge I still see water comming down but directed more in that area of th bridge. why not direct the water from the forward side of the slide awning twards the back side of the slide covers away from the doorway and as far as the awning goes direct that to the front of the trailer by having one side brace higher than the front brace.

TT2
Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have a different floor plan but have considered putting a small awning over the door to keep rain off us, when entering and exiting the door. The main awning doesn't come quite far enough.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
TT2, I was thinking the same thing as you tilt the awning a little towards the front and place a beach ball or something like that under the slide out awning to deflect the rain water towards the back of the slide out cover.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #7
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
I was thinking of getting a Screenroom end panel for the awning to close in the one end. The main problem I can forseee will be finding one long enough to reach the ground so that it can be staked down, as these Montana are quite high.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:22 AM   #8
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have taken a piece of rubber roofing and clamped it to the edge of the slide cover and lapped it over the awning support and clamped it to the edge of the awning. I also have a support made of PVC under the slide cover to shed water off the slide. This works pretty good. You do have to use a ladder to put every thing in place. I also used a piece of velcro to attach the rubber to the side of the camper above the awning rail.
I am thinking about glueing a strip of velcro under the edge of the slide cover and the edge of the awning to eliminate the need of the clamps and to make it easier to apply and remove.
Has anyone used and glued velcro to application such as this?
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think the velcro is a better idea than my snaps. It should be easier to install and to set up each time. Since I haven't installed the slide toppers, there are added design issues to overcome.

I wonder if the slide topper could be extended to fill the gap.since I haven't had them installed yet? Hardware interference would have to be addressed. Oh well, hard to to be inventive when your unit is half a world away.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote