Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Head Banger Door Easy Fix

Click image for larger version

Name:	Head Banger door Easy Fix.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	5491

Well I did it. Flipped the Head Banger Door upside down and reattached (yeah I know picture is sideways. Not sure how to fix that on here). Took me about 15 minutes total including filling in the old hardware holes. Now the door opens towards the middle of the unit and is not in the path of your head as you walk up the steps thru the main door. You could still conceivably hit your head on it but it is far less likely.

This would take EXACTLY the same amount of time/labor and hardware as mounting it the way the factory does. Anyone who has ever hit their head on that door (which would be anyone over 5'10" that has ever setup a camper that has this door) would realize this is a "no brainer" or maybe in this case a brain saver LOL.

IF Keystone employees ever setup their own units at a campground and they missed this obvious easy fix then that speaks volumes for how much they care about actually improving the usability of the units for end users (IE: the folks on this forum)!! It would be yet another example of Keystone only being concerned about moving the units out to their customers (IE: DEALERS) who in turn do not go camping in them and would not even know about such issues or probably care about getting them right......

HEY KEYSTONE IF YOUR REPS ACTUALLY READ THESE POSTS HOW ABOUT A SHOUT OUT ON THIS ONE........

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #2
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
Here you go I turned the picture for you.
Attached Images

Lucky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky23 View Post
Here you go I turned the picture for you.
How ya do it?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
I clicked on your pic downloaded it then rotated it and saved.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky23 View Post
I clicked on your pic downloaded it then rotated it and saved.
It's odd because it is correct orientation on my saved file......
Old 02-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Doesn't this orientation make it perhaps less likely to happen, but if it does it would be a sharper gouge since the corner would be facing the stairs???? Just asking...

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Doesn't this orientation make it perhaps less likely to happen, but if it does it would be a sharper gouge since the corner would be facing the stairs???? Just asking...
No the corner is now facing towards middle of camper. Granted its not a perfect fix BUT you are far more likely to be looking up when walking on a flat surface. One of the big reasons folks hit their head on this door so often when it hung out into the doorway is because you were ascending the stairs and you naturally tend to look down when doing so. It also meant that your head was moving upward into the very corner that you speak of. It drew blood a couple of times on my head. Its sorta like the corners of the slide outs except this corner you can move to a better spot where your less likely to hit it. Just a suggested fix, take it or leave it.....
Old 02-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #8
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
No the corner is now facing towards middle of camper. Granted its not a perfect fix BUT you are far more likely to be looking up when walking on a flat surface. One of the big reasons folks hit their head on this door so often when it hung out into the doorway is because you were ascending the stairs and you naturally tend to look down when doing so. It also meant that your head was moving upward into the very corner that you speak of. It drew blood a couple of times on my head. Its sorta like the corners of the slide outs except this corner you can move to a better spot where your less likely to hit it. Just a suggested fix, take it or leave it.....
The other way is replacing the hinges with self closing ones, I've replaced a few at home & they work great.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
The other way is replacing the hinges with self closing ones, I've replaced a few at home & they work great.

I didn't want to do that as sometimes we want the door open. Like when we are watching the gauge as we fill the water tank.

Likewise at home I don't use them because there are times when you want the door open as you pull out heavy dishes with both hands. Or when your putting dishes away it is a bit of an aggravation to have to open the door every time you add another dish.

I do however like soft close doors and drawers.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #10
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Bathroom door

Now if someone could come up with a fix for the bathroom door that opens towards the bedroom which requires you to step down a step before you have clearance to open it up. The newer units have a pivot door but mine is hinged towards the front of the coach. Anyone have a solution?
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom woodward View Post
Now if someone could come up with a fix for the bathroom door that opens towards the bedroom which requires you to step down a step before you have clearance to open it up. The newer units have a pivot door but mine is hinged towards the front of the coach. Anyone have a solution?
I'm thinking of a bifold door wouldn't be that hard to make.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:33 PM   #12
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
I thought about that as well. Split the door in the middle with a piano hinge and add a few stiffeners
Old 02-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #13
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom woodward View Post
We have the pivot door and I've had to rehang it four times in the last three years because the hardware comes loose. You might want to consider an accordion door. That's what I'm looking for. There's cheap ones out there, I'm just looking for one that looks and works decent.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
We have the pivot door and I've had to rehang it four times in the last three years because the hardware comes loose. You might want to consider an accordion door. That's what I'm looking for. There's cheap ones out there, I'm just looking for one that looks and works decent.
Please let us know what you find. Haven’t used the RV enough that it’s been a hassle ( been in the shop for 16 weeks for typical Montana slide issues) but it’s getting close.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #15
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
I’ve tried for 2days to post pictures no success. My control panel head knocker door is in the stairwell. I installed safety door closers. The door closes automatically and I don’t bump my head any more.

The slide out pulled the pantry door knob off. I installed a safety door closer there too to keep pantry door closed
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #16
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
You have to go to “go advanced” then scroll to attachments. Find the file and download, then the pic will post. I couldn’t figure it out either, and someone enlightened me. Time to pass it forward.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote