Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2020, 10:06 PM   #21
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Somebody brought up pot, don’t remember anybody whining about that being illegal ?? Talk about driving 5 over speed limit, etc.. come on people, I would love to get rid of all the pollution crap on all my vehicles.

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:51 AM   #22
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
At 128,000 miles I just keep the system as it is, not because of laws but because of the extended warranty to 150,000 mile that I have on my 2011 Ford JOB 1, which has tender valves, glow plugs and a turbocharger that has a potential bearing problem. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything until I dug even deeper into possible problems on this 6.7 engine. If it was a 2013 or newer, would never spend those dollars for something that might happen.

My only complaint with a delete are the morons that think "rolling coal" is great fun to dump on others.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:42 AM   #23
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Mine was done last year. I get about 5 MPG better when towing, even more when not towing. Engine brake is better, more HP and actually runs cleaner if you don't romp on it all the time, which I don't. In addition to DPF delete, I also did EGR, which means no exhaust gas recirculating into the motor. That stuff will really foul your oil, rings, etc. Motor is much cleaner now, more power, more MPG and will last much longer without being choked out all the time. Oh, did I mention it actually runs CLEANER when not being romped on?
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:11 AM   #24
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Hope I’m not derailing the thread, but I have a question about DEF fluid itself. I bought a new 2019 f350 6.7. I haven’t driven it much in the last year, 3000 miles or so. Does the DEF fluid go bad? I have a full tank of the stuff, 7 gallons, and would hate to have a problem on the road with wonky DEF fluid. Been thinking about doing away ith the emissions stuff, too, but the truck runs great as is.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #25
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
The def has a 1 to 2 year shelf life depending on brand. You could siphon the old fluid out and add new fluid or install a drain in the bottom of the tank. As for doing away with the def, i would be sure i was out of warranty with the emissions before doing anything to it. I wouldn't have changed mine but i was out of warranty and the def pump went out so i went ahead and had it done and it was cheaper than replacing the pump. Once the emissions start giving problems it starts getting more and more expensive to keep these trucks. As for as running good, my truck has much more throttle response but my mileage seems to be about the same. It wasn't the lack of power that caused me to do away with the def but the cost of keeping it. All these trucks today have plenty of power for towing from the factory but if you do go delete then be sure it is a safe delete. Mine is pretty conservative with 40 to 50 more h.p. and about 100 pounds of torque. I ran my numbers by the diesel guru at my dealer and he said it was very safe at those numbers. To much power and you will be blowing head gaskets without installing harden head bolts which is pretty expensive.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #26
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Texas law:

Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the Texas Clean Air Act of up to $25,000 per violation.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Texas law:

Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the Texas Clean Air Act of up to $25,000 per violation.

I’m sure this is true but there are probably more tuned trucks in Texas than any other state. Texas loves it’s trucks.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #28
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
We are talking about the present, but how about the future? the fed’s are constantly tightening the emissions standards. They have heavily fined several of the tuning companies for selling units that altered the emissions. The Volkswagen diesel scandal (along with sister companies Porsche and Audi) has cast a demeaning light on diesels. While right now they have not gone after small shops doing the work, who’s to say that they won’t in the future.
I would say that at this time you as an owner are unlikely to be caught. With more and more diesel pickups on the road however, and some of them “rolling smoke”, the possibility of more thorough smog inspections, and states not currently doing inspections starting to require them is a possibility that needs to be considered. Sure, you can reinstall the removed parts, but I bet the labor to retrofit, added to your initial cost will be much more expensive than the cost to just fix your issue in the first place.
Don’t get me wrong, I too feel that today’s emission controls are poorly designed and cause added expense and reduce efficiency and reliability. On the other hand I like breathing clean air, and I think most all of us here remember when you didn’t see the haze hovering over our metropolitan areas. Unfortunately if we want to pull our large campers with the ease modern diesels afford us we need to accept the additional costs involved and hope for more reliable systems in the future.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #29
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
emission controls should be warrantied for the life of the vehicle.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #30
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would like to see a larger gasoline engine like Fords Ecoboost. Say 6.7. It would have at least 600 Hp and 900 TK. It would develop 90% of its TK at 2000 RPMs all the way to 5000. It would use more fuel but would cost thousands less and would take tens of thousands of miles for the diesel to make up the difference. A diesel gets 10 mpg and the Ecoboost should get 7. You wouldn’t have all these pollution problems, wouldn’t need DEF. I would be the first in line to get one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #31
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
so maybe you would like to ride behind some 18 wheeler going up a mountain and bellowing black smoke into your windows......

They haven't done that for about 30 yrs. I don't condone kids with there smoke tunes either.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #32
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Actually, with newer clean low sulfur diesel the trucks run cleaner than the old off road diesel. Rolling coal, as it's called, is not as easy with cleaner diesel from a quality source as well. My truck actually runs cleaner and will last significantly longer without being choked out while pulling.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #33
Walt & Vicki
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24025
A properly tuned truck will not smoke unless you lug the engine where it shouldn't be running anyway. As far as deleted trucks go, tuned right they run cleaner and burn less fuel than a truck with emissions. I don't think people should complain about deleted trucks that are tuned right considering that a truck with emissions has a filter that gets up to 600* when its going through a regen. More fuel and more heat are kind of bad for the environment too, isn't it. There is always a good fight for both sides. Just pick one.
Walt & Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #34
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
GRRRRR,

I hate being the voice of reason, but as someone that has done these types of mods,
(not on current F 350), but prior ones, who cares. If you want to do it, do it.

I have a suggestion for all the laptop lawyers.

Before you start to quote the laws of your or any other state, ask your self a question, Have you EVER fudged on your taxes? Even a little?
If you can swear, hand to GOD, that you have never ever "fudged", you should by all means chastise those horrible smoke belching cheaters. HOWEVER, if you can not swear, hand to GOD, that you have never "fudged", even a little, Keep your law degree in your pocket.

And that, is the end of my rant about the nay sayers.
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:51 PM   #35
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Hey guys and gals.
I did what I did. I didn't realize that I'd get some many responses. Simply put, if you are interested in talking about it drop me a note.

Anyone with a diesel knows the rules/laws out there, you don't to repeat them here.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #36
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
New, epa coming after deleted trucks. Not good if the folks dumped the parts, they will be required to reinstall.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #37
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
New, epa coming after deleted trucks. Not good if the folks dumped the parts, they will be required to reinstall.
What is the EPA doing in that effort?
Old 07-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #38
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
GRRRRR,

I hate being the voice of reason, but as someone that has done these types of mods,
(not on current F 350), but prior ones, who cares. If you want to do it, do it.

I have a suggestion for all the laptop lawyers.

Before you start to quote the laws of your or any other state, ask your self a question, Have you EVER fudged on your taxes? Even a little?
If you can swear, hand to GOD, that you have never ever "fudged", you should by all means chastise those horrible smoke belching cheaters. HOWEVER, if you can not swear, hand to GOD, that you have never "fudged", even a little, Keep your law degree in your pocket.

And that, is the end of my rant about the nay sayers.
Chill. I was simply making those who may consider a delete be aware of the illegality of it and the possible consequences in the sell or trade of a deleted vehicle or possible fine if some jurisdiction decides to begin rigid enforcement.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #39
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt & Vicki View Post
A properly tuned truck will not smoke unless you lug the engine where it shouldn't be running anyway. As far as deleted trucks go, tuned right they run cleaner and burn less fuel than a truck with emissions. I don't think people should complain about deleted trucks that are tuned right considering that a truck with emissions has a filter that gets up to 600* when its going through a regen. More fuel and more heat are kind of bad for the environment too, isn't it. There is always a good fight for both sides. Just pick one.
I find it hard to believe that a simple tune would make a diesel run cleaner then a emissions controlled one. After all I’m sure the auto manufacturers wouldn’t spend millions (probably billions if all manufacturers development costs were combined) on emission systems that add cost and reduce reliability if there was a cheaper solution.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #40
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Maz,

Does your rig still pass your annual smog test after the delete? Diesels here are still an annual test where gas engines are every other year.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote