Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
Oregon

We're planning a trip through Oregon. What are the things/areas we must see. Also suggestions for good rv parks (we like full amenities). Also suggestions for lake fishing without a boat.

mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Lincoln City is a great place to visit. Here's their web site.
http://www.oregoncoast.org/pages/festivals.php
We're here right now!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
If you are traveling I-5, 7 Feathers RV Resort in Canyonville is a great park. The MOC has had several rallies there, a very beautiful park.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
Dave and Pat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10397
Here's a couple on or close to the coast..
www.winchesterbayrvresort.com
www.northlakeresort.com
www.ospreypoint.net
www.loonlakerv.com
You can fish from the bank at all of them,Winchester is Saltwater..
Don't forget the Good Sam Rally next month in Central Oregon in Redmond.
Dave and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
If you are in Central Oregon - The Bend/Sisters Garden RV Park is beautiful and a good central location to tour Central Oregon. Fishing in the Deschutes River is pretty good!

http://www.bendsistersgardenrv.com/
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
We go to Oregon often (my Dad lives in Roseburg) so I have a few suggestions:
~ Crater Lake is a must see IMO! If you plan ahead (i.e. get a reservation) you can hike down from the rim of the caldera and go out on a sightseeing boat on the lake...highly recommend!

~ We have also really enjoyed going out on the Rogue River in a jetboat
http://www.hellgate.com/
Watch the video on the website...it really is as much fun as it appears! Well worth the $$. Do the tour that stops for lunch at the lodge.

~ Not far from Grants Pass is the Oregon Caves (we are going there again on our trip in two weeks). Very interesting, just be aware that you cannot tow your 5er back to the caves. We checked and you can leave it at the Caves Junction Visitor Center for the time you are there.

~ Near Roseburg is a very nice RV park called Twin Rivers. It is often sold out, so check early for reservations.

~ On the coast near Coos Bay is a beautiful botanical garden called Shore Acres. Absolutely stunning scenery...nice and cool even in summer! Anywhere on the coast is pretty nice.

Have a great trip!

Old 06-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We are sitting at Ft. Stevens State Park near Astoria. It is a nice area with Lewis and Clark actives all around. There is a lake in the park with docks to fish from and lots of bike trails. There are a lot of openings during the week but fills up on the weekend so might look into reserving online. We have been here since Thursday evening and will head home tomorrow,but would love to stay!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Highly recommend you travel the coast. All of it. And also inland, especially Crater Lake and along the North Umpqua River. Here's more info...

http://vickiandsteve.com
then 2010 postcards from July 8 through Sep 14. That covers our month on the Oregon Coast plus the North Umpqua. We were there earlier in the year than those dates suggest. As for Crater Lake, those postcards are yet to be published but it's absolutely worth a trip to see.

Also, the Columbia River Gorge area going east from Portland. Get off the interstate and drive the highway through the gorge area. Don't miss Multnomah Falls (and the other falls) and also Herman the Sturgeon and the fish ladder at the Bonneville Dam.

Near Portland is the site of the end of the Oregon Trail, along with a museum.

And there is so much more. Oregon is such a beautiful state. We need to go back a few more times.

Have a good time. That's a terrific place to go.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #9
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We live in southern Oregon. Our #1 recommendation would be to stay in the state parks, which can be reserved through Reserve America. Reservations can be made up to 9 months in advance, and believe me the best parks fill up during that first month they can be reserved. All information as to hookups and size of site are given. Our state parks offer the best locations and some are open all year.

Oregon has so much to offer from high desert to rainy coast. Crater Lake is our only national park and well worth the time.

Shore Acres, as mentioned by someone else, is in Charleston, Oregon, about 12 miles from Coos Bay/North Bend, and one of the more interesting spots on the coast on Cape Arago Highway. Simpson's Reef has a great view of the sea lions and you can hear them as soon as you step out of the car. Lincoln City and northern parts of the coast are all right, but the southern coast has more quaint spots and lots of interesting beaches, smaller towns. It depends on what you are looking for.

There are many of us in the MOC from different parts of Oregon. Please contact us for more information.

Nancy
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
The Columbia River Gorge is one of the newest National Scenic areas. It runs from east Portland to just past The Dalles (about an 80 mile stretch) along I-84 on the Oregon side of the Columbia River. The Discovery Center just west of The Dalles is a good stop if you like museums. It covers the formation of the gorge, the Oregon trail and the history of Wasco County (the largest county in the US at one time). There is a state operated RV park at Memaloose on the west bound side of I 84 about ten miles west of The Dalles. There is a lake there but I don't know about fishing access or how the fishing is. The coast is beautiful but the high dessert and arid wheat country east of the Cascades have their own charm (which is why I moved to The Dalles almost 30 years ago. If I am around, I can even provide a boat to go fish the John Day river for bass (I can always use an excuse to get out fishing).
And if you pay for a little avgas, you could even talk me into an aerial tour of Mt. St. Helens.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
All are great suggestions, in the valley we have some fantastic wineries, there is the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum/water park, (where the "Spruce Goose" is located) OMSI the Oregon Musuem of Science and Industry is in Portland and Mount Hood.
So many things to do and sometimes not enough time to see.
Stop at the Visitors Center at the Port of Entry and pickup a guide.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Come to Newport on the central Oregon coast and visit the Yaquina Head lighthouse and great tidepools. We're volunteering for US Fish & Wildlife and will show you all the seabirds and marine mammals. There are two state parks nearby - South Beach SP and Beverly Beach SP, or a private full-hookup park, South Beach Marina RV Park here. There's also the Oregon Coast Aquarium and the Hatfield Marine Science Center to visit. Lots to do in Newport!!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
The "Spruce Goose" is in McMinnville and there's a great RV park right next door!
http://www.oldestonevillage.com/

moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote