Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Can I Pressure Wash my Montana?

I've read in the forum that washing the roof should be avoided for lots of very valid reasons but how about the body of the Monty? I have an AR114 (1300psi) pressure washer and would like to try it. I'm aware that it's a good idea to avoid windows and vents and anywhere where water could penetrate but how about a low pressure wash of the solid surfaces of the exterior? Has anyone had a positive experience?

moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Pressure might cause graphics to lift, also might get by seals on slides. Might even damage weatherstrip around compt. doors. Be very careful.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I would not use a pressure washer. By the time you get the pressure low enough not to cause damage, you might as well use a normal hose.
I have been thru a good number of truck washes but they do not use high pressure. Lower pressure wands and brushes.
IMHO only.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have used a "low" pressure wash system for years. It has not caused the decals to lift. As far as I can see it has not had any negative effect on our rig. I do have decal problems but the problem was not caused by the pressure wash. Nor have we had any problem with any of the seals or the weatherstripping.

I think if one uses a "low" pressure wash system you will probably do no damage. Just be careful to not use too high a pressure. And don't let the water stay in one spot for too long. As with almost anything use caution and if you feel as if you may damage something then don't do it. Try working on a small out of the way place to see if what you are doing might cause damage. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
When we had the problem with the deisel fuel all over our rig, the insurance company contracted with a local mobile wash company to clean & wax the unit. There wasn't any damage to the unit. As a matter of fact, where the front decal was frayinf around the edges, they cleaned off and look a lot better.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Thanks for the valuable feedback ... it is very much appreciated!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lsessoms

Pressure might cause graphics to lift, also might get by seals on slides. Might even damage weatherstrip around compt. doors. Be very careful.
I would not do it for the reasons noted above.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
In all my extensive research I did on graphics/decals (in 2007 & 2008) the care and replacement of them, the 20 or so "experts" I consulted all were very clear in not recommending to pressure wash an RV that had graphics/decals.

Even if you don't see damage done to them instantly, the pressure washing does damage them, weakens the edges and allows microscopic beads of water to seep down under the graphic/decal. In time it will allow large areas of edges to curl which allows sun, wind and other environmental factors to help hasten the demise of the graphic/decal.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote